Hydrometer broke...in my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not intending be mean or cruel here but being that people say it's a judgment call I'd say your judgment was suspect when you decided to use a thermometer for something it was not intended to do. The fact that you grabbed a hydrometer was just compounding the first error in judgment.

You are right that was horrible judgment. By that point was already late into the night and was just thinking grab something that is sanitized to help get the bag out.

I'd think of it this way...

If someone handed you a beer and said, "I broke some glass in this but I'm fairly certain I got it all out" would you drink it?

If you'd say yes, then go ahead are bottle her up.
If you'd say no, then dump it.

yea i guess would depend on how well i know the person and what type of person he or she is haha.

It only takes one piece of glass to lacerate something inside your body. So "most of it" isn't really going to cut it.

$50 worth of homebrew supplies

vs.

$3000+ ER bill.

Its still your call but, I know what I'd do.

Yea very true. still on the fence. From what I could tell the portion of the hydrometer that was broken was accounted for in the bucket and the smaller piece was caught by the strainer. Now did i get it 100% out i guess i couldnt be sure but im confident I did.

maybe i will just finish the fermenting process and stop at the bottling for practice purposes. As it is my first time obviously and I made stupid mistake.

The person im brewing with wants to continue and is also confident we got the glass out so its not really my call to just dump it entirely. but i do have the choice if i want to take the chances on drinking it or not. on the fence.

maybe just filter it thru a coffe filter as you are serving it .. i dont think any glass could get thru there and i doubt any would be there in the first place ... i think thats what I'd do after all the work of brewing it for sure ... cheers !!

It only takes one piece of glass to lacerate something inside your body. So "most of it" isn't really going to cut it.

$50 worth of homebrew supplies

vs.

$3000+ ER bill.

Its still your call but, I know what I'd do.

Unless you're Canadian, in that case it's a 1 hour ER wait followed by $0.

maybe just filter it thru a coffe filter as you are serving it .. i dont think any glass could get thru there and i doubt any would be there in the first place ... i think thats what I'd do after all the work of brewing it for sure ... cheers !!

good idea! i feel like such an idiot. taking my time in future and not waiting so long in the night to brew.

i feel like dang all that time wasted. i will not serve to anyone else obviously.

Stick a sanitized hop bag over the fermenter end of the auto-siphon when racking to the bottling bucket? Should strain out any shard of glass big enough to do damage.

I understand that jsweet and you found facts saying glass isn't always going to be harmful. But, I cannot believe anyone would consider drinking this beer. Like said before, it's $50. Consider it a loss.

I understand that jsweet and you found facts saying glass isn't always going to be harmful. But, I cannot believe anyone would consider drinking this beer. Like said before, it's $50. Consider it a loss.

yea 50 aint bad esp to what can happen. even if i dont end up botteling and drinking i at least want to finish the fermentation process.

As long as you dont shake it around before bottling the glass should just fall into the trub. I would bet your strainer got the majority of it if not all of it anyway. When I was in my younger partying days a 1/2 gallon of liquors top got broken off and there were noticeable chunks of glass in the container. We just strained the liquor through a coffee filter and drank it. 10 years later and no ER visit Im fine and you will be too I'm sure.

A good name for your brew.

"Broken Glass insert style here"

As long as you dont shake it around before bottling the glass should just fall into the trub. I would bet your strainer got the majority of it if not all of it anyway. When I was in my younger partying days a 1/2 gallon of liquors top got broken off and there were noticeable chunks of glass in the container. We just strained the liquor through a coffee filter and drank it. 10 years later and no ER visit Im fine and you will be too I'm sure.

A good name for your brew.

"Broken Glass insert style here"

hahahahah BROKEN GLASS IPA haha not coming to a pub near you.

thanks man.

appreciate all the suggestions and ideas and concerns.

You guys are all a big help. Thanks for welcoming this noob with the broken glass ipa haha im stealing that idea!

Well just don't let it dissuade you from the obsession, er I mean hobby. Cheap, affordable hobby. :rolleyes:

If you learned anything about brewing, even if you don't get to drink your results, I'd still consider that a win.

I understand you found facts saying overapplication of the precaution principle doesn't always suck 100% of the joy and adventure out of life. But, I cannot believe anyone would consider living their life that way.

If we thought there was glass in it, I wouldn't drink it. If we were pretty sure there weren't, but couldn't be 100% sure, then I would. To put it another way, I wouldn't deliberately consume broken glass under any circumstances, even if it were nigh certain to be harmless -- but I'm also not going to let the remote possibility that I might consume a tiny bit of it keep me up at night.

I wouldn't deliberately crash my car either, but in a few minutes I'm about to drive to work, risking a gruesome death. Should I call my boss and tell him I won't be in today, because even though I'm pretty sure I won't get in a fatal accident on the way there, I'm not 100% sure?

not sure why there is still a debate going on here .. the coffee filter idea solves the problem IMO ... serve it thu a coffee filter and drink it ... glass wont get thru there .. I know thats what I'd do ...

not sure why there is still a debate going on here .. the coffee filter idea solves the problem IMO ... serve it thu a coffee filter and drink it ... glass wont get thru there .. I know thats what I'd do ...

Would pouring it through the filter aerate the beer too much prior to bottling? Will this cause any issues?

well some more thoughts on this.

I recently did this at the end of a boil with a thermometer - didn't notice it until the next morning. Tossed the beer.
Reasons for tossing - initial, worried about a glass sliver in a wheat beer. Should settle out, but the co2 could stickto it and keep it in suspension and it might make it through course filters. AFTER I opened the top, I'd made the right decission.. smelled like band- aids - I figured infected by the insides of the thermometer. Don't ask, don't care how just know it smelled like bandaids.

Now some beer (and wine) is filtered. I found a filtering system at austin but it cost $90, I like couldy beer (so only 1 time use) and ingredients were $40. Decided to just remake it.

With that said, if you want to filter and are feeling good and it doesn't smell bad after a week, go right ahead, something fine like coffee filter or such should work... Just RACK theheck out of it first. Any sediment will clog your filter and slow you down, more racking=less sediment to try and filter. Although there is a medium to that, maybe primary, then secondary, then 2nd secondary then rack to bottling bucket through filtering. That's what I'd do. Oh and 1 whirlflock tab +1 cup boiled water added when secondarying to help pull stuff out, maybe the cup of boild water with wirlflock into the primary now. About 5 mins to disolve, not much longer, whirlflock breaks down over in boils over 10 mins and 1 full tab is good for 10 gallons normal, but in this case, I think an agressive fining is called for)... At least that was my plan til I decided - 'it only cost me$40'

Would pouring it through the filter aerate the beer too much prior to bottling? Will this cause any issues?

i was talking about pouring it thru a filter right before serving it and drinking .. after bottling .. thats what i would do after all the work of brewing it ... but you know ... if it wasnt a kickass beer i might toss it after tasting it ... maybe .. i dont know ... just my 2 cents

yes. you would unavoidably be aerating/oxygenating your beer. Oxygenating your unfermented wort is always desirable. Oxygenating fermented beer is not! Unless, of course, you just LOVE the taste of wet cardboard, that is!

I did something similar for different reasons and the filter makes the beer foam but in the filter, not the glass. You give up some carbonation doing this. If done carefully - making sure that all the beer goes through and not over, I'd think this would take out anything that might have gotten in and couldn't be safely drunk.

yes. you would unavoidably be aerating/oxygenating your beer. Oxygenating your unfermented wort is always desirable. Oxygenating fermented beer is not! Unless, of course, you just LOVE the taste of wet cardboard, that is!

Filtering doesn't have to introduce more O2 to finished beer. BMC (bad examples) and many large micro breweries filter their beer. The question is 'Is it worth my time and $$$ to filter for a possible glass threat?' Which has to be made by the maker of the beer. After all, if it smells bad (infected) or is there glass really in there, can he filter without adding O2, will the coffee filter before drinking be better, etc

In my case I dumped, initially based on deciding that filtering was to much bother and then upon opening the smell of band-aid plastic told me I was also probably infected... didn't make it worth the time/effort..

Back