Hydrometer @ 1.01

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyDog

Reaction score
Midwest Flat Tire Ale. Started at ~1.046 on Saturday. Still bubbling at about 45 sec. to 1 min. intervals.

Tasted the hydrometer sample and it was really good. Looks really dark, almost like a porter, in the carboy but was a beautiful golden brown in the hydrometer tube. Can I expect it to get much lower SG?

I have to go out of town Monday morning and was wondering if it might be ready for secondary by then. If not I will have to wait until Thursday night to move it. This is my first batch ever so I am excited and paranoid at the same time.

Primary: Midwest Flat Tire Ale
Secondary: Waiting for Midwest Flat Tire Ale
Bottled: Nothing yet
Drinking: Yuengling Black & Tan
On Deck: Midwest Porter

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

put a airlock on your secondary and transfer it. should be good.

what kind of yeast did you use; is the type yeast really important to get that new belgium flavor????

If you are at 1.010 that is pretty good. However, I would just wait till you get back. It will not hurt your brew in any way leaving it an extra few days.

If it's been a week in primary then take a reading and see where it's at. Usually you can leave it alone in your primary (undisturbed) for up to a month. Providing your temps stay even, say around mid 60'ish.

You'll be fine to remember the 1-2-3 method of beer making. I week primary, 2 weeks secondary (to clear), and 3 weeks in the bottle before imbibing. That's what usually works for the beginner. I have heard (Jamil Z's radio show) that it's okay to keep it in the primary for up to a month with no off flavors or worries. But I would atleast keep the temps around 60 F if you are going out of town.

Thanks for the feedback. I used a Belgian Ale Wyeast Activator pack. W1214(I think)

Fermentation has been at a steady 68 degrees. It was around 69-71 when the yeast was at it most active.

Latest posts

Back