Hydrogen peroxide for agar plates/slants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunsm

Reaction score
I have seen small amounts of hydrogen peroxide mixed in with potato dextrose agar when working under less than ideal conditions for mycology use. The theory was that living organisms (the mycelium in this case) could process the peroxide in small concentrations, while spores would be destroyed, and in practice, this led to a tremendous decrease in contamination when working without a glove box or flowhood. Does anyone have experience trying this with malt agar in their plates or slants?

I have never heard of that, though all of my lab work has been done in what I assume could be considered close to "ideal" conditions. Do you have any information on the concentration of H2O2? I think I would rather try to be extra careful and/or make replicates of my plates and slants than risk oxidative damage of the yeast.

Are you having problems with contamination? Sanitizing working surfaces, closing all windows and door, and using a heat source to create an updraft is usually sufficient for us.
I would think it would be difficult to accurately measure such a small amount of H2O2 given the small amount (200mL) of media I usually make.

Latest posts

Back