Hydometer Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphair16

Reaction score
I brewed my first brown ale on 12/2/06 and had to add more yeast on 12/4/06 because I killed the original yeast (added when too hot). When should I take a hydrometer reading? In addition, will taking the cover off cause any problems? When I take the cover off, should I see foam? P.S I see one large bubble every 45seconds.

Let it go for a week, then take reading. And yes, if you take teh cover off, you should see foam. That is the krausen and a suer sign of a nice fermentation. However taknig your lid off is never really advisable, since you never know what nasties might jump in your beer and wreak havoc.

Do you have an original gravity reading?

I'd take one now so you can see where it is.
Then you'll know how far it's come and how far it has to go.

However taknig your lid off is never really advisable, since you never know what nasties might jump in your beer and wreak havoc.

You can always gently take out the bubbler and peer through the hole too. Take your samples through this hole too.

I try not and let "nasties" paranoia get too out of hand. Chances are (feeling lucky today?) nothing is going to infect your beer. Relax. Have a beer. Everything will work out.

Back