Humulus Lupulus Neomexicanus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvlpdillon

Reaction score
My mother went to a nursey in the Denver area and picked up a hop plant. She didn't know to ask about variety. The only marking on the label is Humulus Lupulus Neomexicanus Native Hop Vine.

I searched Google. I could find a little botanical information, but not much for their production of beer. I am not concerned about if these are safe to use. I just have no idea what these might be other than using them of course.

Before my experimenting begins in the fall, does anyone know what these are?

The article suggests they are a regional/native wild hop. It also suggests there is little to no interest in them *right now*. Maybe there's nothing special about it. Maybe it's the next big thing. I like ingrediants that confuse people, send me a rhizome, I'll try growing it IL.

I'd love to make a Mexican/ Tex-Mex beer with regional ingrediants. I have no issue with Negro Modelo but I think it's weird that basically a European beer that took off in Mexico is now considered a Mexican beer. As a homebrewer with family in Mexico, I've often thought: If I am a brewer, and I can't have ingrediants imported to me, what would I use locally? A Mexican wild hop would be on the list. I'm eager to learn more.

I saw the same article before posting.

I should re-phrase my question. Based upon the fact there there are at least dozens of varietals of hops. One aspect we as brewers choose them to set our styles is aroma. As we know some have more floral aroma qualities, like Golding, and some with more citrus qualities, for example Cascade. Knowing I may not nail this down completely based upon on the sub genus which 4 grow in the US alone, and one is the neomexicanus, is there a way to determine a broad flavor profile? For instance, based only on the common name of Amarillo I would assume based upon the TX city this has something to do with the native growing region, which would include neomexicanus. Of course I know Amarillo may have a completely different reason to have received that name.

Regardless I will brew with them.

I suspect you will become the founder and first expert on neomexicanus. I suggest a SMASH. Maris Otter and NewMexicanus. I like to do a first wort hopping, to try and capture than aroma and flavor profile, then do a standard addition. I hope you brew this and report back. If there is anything positive quality in this hop, I want to add it to my garden.

I suspect you will become the founder and first expert on neomexicanus. I suggest a SMASH. Maris Otter and NewMexicanus. I like to do a first wort hopping, to try and capture than aroma and flavor profile, then do a standard addition. I hope you brew this and report back. If there is anything positive quality in this hop, I want to add it to my garden.

+1

Definitely make a SMaSH. Also, if I were you I'd be extra excited; such a small amount of information on what is clearly a new strain of hops. Do a couple SMaSH's with it, maybe then a normal beer once you find out what the neomexicanus' flavor profile is, and then write-up a big sticky for it on the hops growing page. Might get you into BYO :D

this guy : http://probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16836 has been trying to see if there is any promise in this native variety of hops by doing some basic breeding at his farm. not so much to become famous, but to be able to offer a locally bred variety of hops to local brewers. local ingredients, local brews for local folks.

Hi,
I'd like to introduce Amalia Hops, LLC hailing from Amalia, NM a location where Neomexicanus is now being cataloged and identified on our Ranch.
Taos Mesa Brewers in Taos NM have been using the hops from our ranch for nearly one year now and have brewed an amazing Cross Eyed Ale using hops harvested from 11 different vines growing on our property.
This year we are separating, identifying and cataloging more than 200 vines from our various ranches. After harvest we will be making small batch brews to determine the brewing characteristics of each vine. Samples from the vines with the best brewing characteristics will then be sent out for chemical analysis.
Others are experimenting with this hops but they have moved it from it's native location and environment. And the folks don't live here so they don't have access to all of the vines that we locals do. Our soil is volcanic/riverbed. We are at elevation 8,146 feet at latitude 36.942. Our growing season is a scant 4 months, so these vines really pack a wallop into a very short growth window of opportunity. We are in what is considered to be High Altitude Desert.
That said, keep an eye on us and watch us grow at amaliahops.com. Or contact us if you'd like to participate in any of our studies.

I am glad you are growing new hops. Hope New Mexico will grow American hops. Wooohoooo. Go America!!!!! Think about the craft beer movement with new hops!

Back