Huge fermentation...then very very little

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUCatBrewer

Reaction score
My first 2 batches actively bubbled for 2 weeks. I brewed an Imperial IPA (extract) last week. Massive fermentation almost IMMEDIATELY (I had to swap out my air lock for a blow off tube because the Krausen was climbing so fast) and then after 4 - 5 days of wild bubbling...it's gone to nearly nothing. Should I be concerned?

No. 4-5 days of wild bubbling is a lot. I pretty much never get two weeks of active bubbling.

Unless there's other relevant info - e.g., you fermented in a warm room - I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think so, the gas being produced is the result of the yeast "eating" the sugar and converting it into alcohol and carbon dioxide. At the beginning of the fermentation process there is more sugar and therefore a far more vigorous process. You should be able to take an original gravity reading and see a large reduction from your starting OG. Remember though that just because the fermentation and alcohol production may be finished the yeast still needs time to improve your beer.

I have fermentation control, and when I ferment lagers in the 52-54 range it can bubble for a week. Ales fermented at 68 with English yeast ferment vigorous for 3 days then start to slow down.

What is your fermentation temperature and yeast strain? If you're fermenting at 70+ degrees, then a high gravity wort will make the yeast strain go nuts like you described, and due to exothermic heat created by an uncontrolled fermentation, the yeast will ferment wildly and end abruptly.

My first 2 batches actively bubbled for 2 weeks. I brewed an Imperial IPA (extract) last week. Massive fermentation almost IMMEDIATELY (I had to swap out my air lock for a blow off tube because the Krausen was climbing so fast) and then after 4 - 5 days of wild bubbling...it's gone to nearly nothing. Should I be concerned?

Not to worry. Forget it for the next 3 weeks and all will be fine.

The most important thing is to not let the bubbling be a significant indicator of whether fermentation is over. I leave all my beers a minimum of four weeks before even considering taking an FG reading. The yeast need time to clean up after themselves!

I usually brew 2 1/2 gallon batches of brown ale and use a 3 gallon glass carboy for fermenting. All 27 batches had vigorous fermenting within 12 hours of pitching yeast. Krausen is always totally submersed after day #3. Always bottle on day #14 and carb for 21 days. Perfect results every time.....well except for a couple bottles where the cap didn't seal properly. :(

Back