Huge fermentation. Have a concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimand

Reaction score
So my beer had nice huge fermentation and spewed out of the blow hole. I didn't notice for about a week. After I noticed I didn't bother to clean the kid since it was pretty crusty. Sunday is the third week and bottle day the problem is that mold is growing in some of the grooves of the lid. Should I pop the lid and clean it off or just wipe the mold of and wait it out?

I'd wipe it off before opening the bucket. You don't want mold spores falling into your beer when you open it on bottling day if you can help it. Does "blow hole" = airlock or blowoff tube or something like that? Or is there actually a hole that airborne things could fall into?

boydster said:
I'd wipe it off before opening the bucket. You don't want mold spores falling into your beer when you open it on bottling day if you can help it. Does "blow hole" = airlock or blowoff tube or something like that? Or is there actually a hole that airborne things could fall into?

+1 - clean up away from the hole, spray everything down like crazy with star San, wipe again

Well all I do is cover the hole that an airlock would go into with sanitized tinfoil. It's still in place and the mold is near the lip of the lid with the grooves I would say the farthest lip away from the hole.I did lift the foil once and place it back where it was but Before the mold appeared.

My recommendation is to clean the lid carefully trying not to let anything get in (or close to) that hole, and then get an airlock in there.

Back