HPA tank to hold CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiber

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone know if I can use my old HPA (compressed air) tank to hold CO2? I have a fairly large tank I used for paintball scenereo games and since paintball has gotten way too expensive, I would like to reuse the tank if at all possible.

What do I need? Anyone done this sort of thing before? Will I die?

Alright I am not trying to be a jerk here but I need another opinion.

The tank is rated to 4800psi. A 20lbs co2 tank is rated to 3000psi. The regulator on the tank steps this down to 850psi for paintball. The anatomy of a co2 tank (the better ones) have a stem in there to prevent the tank from pulling liquid co2 directly out of the tank. I don't expect the hpa tank to have the stem but at the same time its not going to be upside down and given the pressure rating I am not sure why its not doable.

I'm sure that you can store jet fuel in birthday balloons next to the furnace. but I wouldn't suggest that EITHER.

ok, now. you wont die. but the regulators are designed to be incompatible. i think you should find a barter situation..... have fun!

Tiber,

I'd suggest that you take the tank in (you say it is an old tank) and have it recertified. This is a must if your are going to refill it anyway. When you have that done have them change the valve to a standard co² valve assembly and then ask them to refill it with co². You will be good to go. I did the same thing with an old 20 pound sized tank that I repurposed for co².

No sweat - just do it. Your risk? It fails the test. But - then you are only out the charge for the test. No big deal.

It will cost you the inspection charge and the cost of a new valve. Worth every penny.!

Sell your paintball gear on eBay and buy kegging equipment?

Then how will I motivate my kids to do anything!?

I'd suggest that you take the tank in (you say it is an old tank) and have it recertified. This is a must if your are going to refill it anyway. When you have that done have them change the valve to a standard co² valve assembly and then ask them to refill it with co².

OK THAT is a really good idea, and yeah it is an old tank. (By old I mean it's four years old and I am aware it's close to if not up for recertification). I'll start asking around for that. Thanks for the tip.

Then how will I motivate my kids to do anything!?

OK THAT is a really good idea, and yeah it is an old tank. (By old I mean it's four years old and I am aware it's close to if not up for recertification). I'll start asking around for that. Thanks for the tip.

i recommend the same advice, high pressure vessels are not safe to experiment and play around with..... have a pro test it and certify it first.

the only difficulty i see is if it's a composite tank.. such a tank might not be safe for cryogenic liquids like co2, but that's up to an expert to determine that. does the tank have a manufacturer's id on it?

yea my only concern would be if it were a carbon fiber tank, liquid CO2 may get cold enough to crack it, or the CO2 may be able to react with the inside of the tank and cause corrosion of some sort if it were not designed for use with liquid CO2.

a regular steel/alumium HPA tank would just need to have a different regulator installed for use with CO2. and you would probably want it tested in the process.

Latest posts

Back