HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After starting on this project and realizing that I wanted to add the LCD screen and the bluetooth options that @day_trippr was so great to make How To's for, I decided that a PCB board build would be a good learning project for my 10 year old and I. With much help from day_trippr, we came up with this:

View attachment 342423

Kudos to day_trippr

View attachment 342424

Soldered up:

View attachment 342425

Mated to the UNO:

View attachment 342426

More pics to follow when I get the bluetooth hooked up and all put in a project box. I'm really pleased for our first attempt at a board. And the purple is kind of cool. I've already come up with a couple of changes if I go to version 1.1 :)

Nice piece of work. if you wouldn't mind sharing your files. I might like to get some printed myself. 1 Question though. did you just put all the capacitors in a row and run one trace across them, or are they traced to the components you intend to decouple?

After starting on this project and realizing that I wanted to add the LCD screen and the bluetooth options that @day_trippr was so great to make How To's for, I decided that a PCB board build would be a good learning project for my 10 year old and I. With much help from day_trippr, we came up with this:

View attachment 342423

Kudos to day_trippr

View attachment 342424

Soldered up:

View attachment 342425

Mated to the UNO:
View attachment 342426

More pics to follow when I get the bluetooth hooked up and all put in a project box. I'm really pleased for our first attempt at a board. And the purple is kind of cool. I've already come up with a couple of changes if I go to version 1.1 :)

As a engineer and father I approve of this message :)

If your open to putting the schematic and BOM info up on the Wiki for others that would be great :)

You might wanna dig a little deeper and look into the brewpi forum and legacy forum. because I believe there is a different I2c setup that actually uses pin 8 and 9 that would normally go to shift register for I2c instead of the analog pins. because I can tell you from experience that once you start messing with the one-wire stuff you'll open up a whole other can if worms

Tnx for this and saving me frustration later on.. I though I was home free when I could get a HEX file for brewpi working on the Uno with the now familiar text, but I found herrfrost:s implementation of software I2C on github since onewire pinout was hardcoded in several places and it will need me to compile new hex file for my setup using that repo.So I guess its actually easier to make a new "traditional" shift register knock off rev C pseudoshield and bring out the solder gun. The layout of above posting seems very nice, I hope he shares it with the world.

Thanks and cheers! / A

Tnx for this and saving me frustration later on.. I though I was home free when I could get a HEX file for brewpi working on the Uno with the now familiar text, but I found herrfrost:s implementation of software I2C on github since onewire pinout was hardcoded in several places and it will need me to compile new hex file for my setup using that repo.So I guess its actually easier to make a new "traditional" shift register knock off rev C pseudoshield and bring out the solder gun. The layout of above posting seems very nice, I hope he shares it with the world.

Thanks and cheers! / A

I found the updated I2c implementation. it uses pins 10 an 11 for I2c and even has some bug fix have if you are using cheapo Chinese knockoffs with the ch40 USB.

https://github.com/herrfrost/firmware/blob/feature/SoftwareI2C/readme.md

I found the updated I2c implementation. it uses pins 10 an 11 for I2c and even has some bug fix have if you are using cheapo Chinese knockoffs with the ch40 USB.

https://github.com/herrfrost/firmware/blob/feature/SoftwareI2C/readme.md

Thanks, got it and its working! pic from my cluttered desktop:

image.jpg

Nice piece of work. if you wouldn't mind sharing your files. I might like to get some printed myself. 1 Question though. did you just put all the capacitors in a row and run one trace across them, or are they traced to the components you intend to decouple?

I am more than happy to share the files with the world. It would be nice to actually give something back after all of the help I've received here.

The capacitors are traced to the individual components that will be decoupled. I do intend to play with the layout a bit to get the capacitors closer to their point of use, though.

Let me play with it a bit and fix a couple of the labels and then I'll put the files up.

Man this thread is packed full of information.

I am looking to build a fermentation chamber out of wood and foam insulation sheets and mount the guts from my freezer that i have to the chamber I build. My goal is to have 3 (maybe more in the future) Fast Fermenter plastic conical's. I am thinking I will keep the chamber at a set temperature and then use a brew belt like this to bring the fermenter up to the temp desired.
12137.jpg

Are the below items all I need to accomplish this?

SainSmart UNO R3 ATmega328-AU Development Board Compatible With Arduino UNO R3
1_13_27.jpg

RasberryPi 3
IMG_4090.jpg

SainSmart 2/4/8/16-Channel Relay Module for Arduino & Raspberry Pi

Would go with 8 Channel.
11_13_8.jpg

Then multiple outlets to control the freezer and multiple heater belts.
950eedd5-66e6-4fc5-b607-0a8f7348578e_400.jpg

Would also eventually have a keezer built and use it to control the temp for that.

Am i missing anything? Will I need multiple UNO boards or will one cover it?

Sorry for the simple questions, this is all slowly starting to make sense.

Man this thread is packed full of information.

I am looking to build a fermentation chamber out of wood and foam insulation sheets and mount the guts from my freezer that i have to the chamber I build. My goal is to have 3 (maybe more in the future) Fast Fermenter plastic conical's. I am thinking I will keep the chamber at a set temperature and then use a brew belt like this to bring the fermenter up to the temp desired.
View attachment 342875

Are the below items all I need to accomplish this?

SainSmart UNO R3 ATmega328-AU Development Board Compatible With Arduino UNO R3
View attachment 342876

RasberryPi 3
View attachment 342877

SainSmart 2/4/8/16-Channel Relay Module for Arduino & Raspberry Pi

Would go with 8 Channel.
View attachment 342878

Then multiple outlets to control the freezer and multiple heater belts.
View attachment 342879

Would also eventually have a keezer built and use it to control the temp for that.

Am i missing anything? Will I need multiple UNO boards or will one cover it?

Sorry for the simple questions, this is all slowly starting to make sense.

You'd need multiple Arduino boards, but other than that your basically right excluding what you need for the RPI like power cable and SD card.

That said there is some pretty big news that i wont totally spill the beans on quite yet that will drastically cut the cost of building DIY BrewPi's for certain configurations and make them significantly cheaper, even cheaper than building a STC1000 and allow for multiple fermentation chamber control without all the fuss you need to go through now. So keep an eye out on this subforum over the coming weeks, when it does officially go public i'll likely start a fresh thread for that build.

Its up to you if you want to wait or just go with the traditional route that we have now.

You'd need multiple Arduino boards, but other than that your basically right excluding what you need for the RPI like power cable and SD card.

That said there is some pretty big news that i wont totally spill the beans on quite yet that will drastically cut the cost of building DIY BrewPi's for certain configurations and make them significantly cheaper, even cheaper than building a STC1000 and allow for multiple fermentation chamber control without all the fuss you need to go through now. So keep an eye out on this subforum over the coming weeks, when it does officially go public i'll likely start a fresh thread for that build.

Its up to you if you want to wait or just go with the traditional route that we have now.

I haven't even built the fermentation chamber yet so not in a huge hurry. I have a stand up freezer that I am using one fast fermenter and a STC1000 in right now. I will wait around to see what new tech is coming out :)

I still need to figure out how to remove the cooling unit from the stand up freezer without destroying it....

Does anyone have any idea why I have these weird spikes ever 24 hours (approx)

Something is happening religiously every 26 hours. Fridge shutting off from running too much? Room temp is pretty darned warm. THat is indeed weird.

Could that be a defroster cycle?

Cheers!

It could be, I haven't thought about that.
I was toying with the idea of trying to isolate the defrost heater to use for the fermenter heater. If this is a spike from that heater it looks like it might be a viable idea.

Something is happening religiously every 26 hours. Fridge shutting off from running too much? Room temp is pretty darned warm. THat is indeed weird.

Room temp is a garage in south Florida. Wait until you see the summer temps. :eek:

In addition to the multiple arduino boards, I would recommend at least 2 DS18B20 temp sensors and a 4.7k sensor per Brewpi instance.

Oh, and lots of patience for the multiple instance setup.

Good point, forgot to mention those. Would have at least 4 to start with, probably 5. 1 in all 3 thermowells of the fast fermenters, 1 inside the chamber and one for the keezer.

Still need to figure out how I want to cool the chamber. I have a wine cooler that looks similiar to this that I am wondering if I removed the door and added fan for circulation if it would be enough. This would leave the stand up freezer to be converted to a keezer.

dual-zone-wine-cooler.jpg

Ok one more random question.

In this wiring diagram both temp probes data wire goes to the same terminal then has one wire going to the Arduino Uno. I guess I don't understand how two signals are going into one wire and one input but it's able to recognize both probes.

218025d1408159304-howto-make-brewpi-fermentation-controller-cheap-arduino.gif

it's called a 1-Wire bus, each probe has it's own address

forget how many bits it is (64?), but over 18 quintillion (2^64) or so possible unique addresses, but the Arduino can tell which one is which

it's called a 1-Wire bus, each probe has it's own address

forget how many bits it is (64?), but over 18 quintillion (2^64) or so possible unique addresses, but the Arduino can tell which one is which

Thank you. That's pretty slick.

"and allow for multiple fermentation chamber control without all the fuss you need to go through now. "

But why would you want less hassle and aggravation? I liked fighting with this blasted thing for 4 months.

Thank you. That's pretty slick.

Yes it is, and there are a very large amount of 1 wire protocol sensors, for humidity, temp, pressure all that stuff that you can all chain together onto one bus like that and communicate with each of them based on their internal programmed ID string. We have no use for those other sensors but its cool to think about dozens of different sensors all connected to 1 spot working like that.

So if I decide to go the complicated and aggravating way how does this look?

wiring diagram.jpg

That's been done - I think someone's done four via a USB hub.
I have four Unos talking to the same RPI, but only one of them uses USB.
Two use Bluetooth and the fourth uses WiFi...

Cheers!

[edit] Do not daisy chain the AC or neutral wires, use a "star" topology from your input power source.

Cheers!

[edit] Do not daisy chain the AC or neutral wires, use a "star" topology from your input power source.

Gotcha. I got lazy in the end of my MS Paint adventure and didn't draw each line out.

This should be a fun build!

If it wasn't for brewing, I probably would not have gotten so totally into RPi's, Unos, and a metric crapton of programming languages.

So I can always blame the brewing ;)

btw, you'll have to consider both the worst-case run time AC loading as well as the potential for multiple actuators clicking on at the same time when provisioning your AC.
There's a good chance you'll need to pull from multiple circuits through independent line cords to avoid the pathological case that brings stuff down back at the breaker box...

Cheers!

Cheers!

Also i have not ever done a multi setup like this but i would assume he will want a externally powered USB hub to run so many power hungry devices?

Also i have not ever done a multi setup like this but i would assume he will want a externally powered USB hub to run so many power hungry devices?

The random picture I pulled for the USB hub is externally powered I just grabbed the pic not showing the cord from the internet. :D

I'd want a powered hub regardless because the RPi USB power is generally lame, but I would not power an Uno via USB.
Aggro City...

Cheers!

Ah. Wrt "coming stuff", the light just went on.
It's a paradigm shift...that not all are going to want to sign up for...

Cheers!

I've ordered a few more arduinos but with this exciting new update I don't want the bother if doing a multi chamber set up on the pi that'll soon be out if date, is it possible to plug the arduino into the pi, set a temp, then unplug it from the pi and it'll keep regulating the temp once it has it's own power source? I know I won't get data but I don't mind that for the moment.

I've ordered a few more arduinos but with this exciting new update I don't want the bother if doing a multi chamber set up on the pi that'll soon be out if date, is it possible to plug the arduino into the pi, set a temp, then unplug it from the pi and it'll keep regulating the temp once it has it's own power source? I know I won't get data but I don't mind that for the moment.

Well, yes. but what do you mean by pi that is out of date. you can run brewpi on an original pi. it doesn't really need all the power of the pi 2 or pi 3.

Well, yes. but what do you mean by pi that is out of date. you can run brewpi on an original pi. it doesn't really need all the power of the pi 2 or pi 3.

I actually meant the multi chamber method being out of date, great to hear I can do it the lazy way for the moment, thanks!

If it wasn't for brewing, I probably would not have gotten so totally into RPi's, Unos, and a metric crapton of programming languages.

So I can always blame the brewing ;)

btw, you'll have to consider both the worst-case run time AC loading as well as the potential for multiple actuators clicking on at the same time when provisioning your AC.

There's a good chance you'll need to pull from multiple circuits through independent line cords to avoid the pathological case that brings stuff down back at the breaker box...

Cheers!

This is kinda what I was working on before I shelved my build for a while. I remedied the multiple relay problem by using 1 universal ssr using diodes for discreet control from 4 arduinos. This way if 2 duinos want to run the cooler at the same time it just stays on until the last duino releases it.

Some notes for potential diy:ers:

Wall of text follows...

I struggled a bit following day_trippers excellent writeup on how to setup a bluetooth link, but it boills down to the "latest and greatest" illness of using raspberry pi3 as that had built in bluetooth as well as wifi. - I needed replace my old pi 1 anyway and also because the Hc05 module I got had a button to put it into AT mode. The gui bluetooth manager in raspbian is crap so I had to resort to using commands and also create the serial connection through commands.

After establishing a link I hooked it up to another arduino and - nothing. Turns out the knock off cheapo uno copy didnt work, whereas it worked fine with an original one, I guess its down to another serial module on that board. With a bit o tinkering it should probably be possible to make it work though.

So now Ill hookup an original Uno with the sensors and bench test that for a while before its going into enclosure. Then I think I have most of the new stuff in one package: c2i Lcd driver, rotary encoder and bluetooth. (I have not used a PNP transistor for auto dimming yet, and I guess a switch works fine anyway) But: now I found the writeup on using an esp module as a serial link, so that have to be tested..

With the new announcement I guess there will be something new to build...its been good fun, even though its holding off the actual brewing a bit.
Another cool thing that brewpi could benefit from would be to merge the stc1000+ devices to the logging and profile loading for example by writing a single wire communication driver into a wifi module like Esp and a translation / activaton mechanism for the scetches used in the stc. Then the stc could be the actuator and readybuilt with display and switces.

Regards and thanks for all the help and good ideas! /A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back