How's this sound for a kegging system? (semi-portable)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
I am looking into getting into kegging, but I don't have the space for a full blown setup, so I searched around the forums and thought of an idea...

I want to use a paintball-like tank, similar to what EdWort and BierMuncher have done with their portable systems. I have a mini-fridge that I used in college that is now my bar fridge, but it'll only fit 2 of the 3 gallon corneys, no 5 gallon. That's ok, I found 3 gallons at midwest supplies for $99 each with reasonable shipping. There is no place in town to get CO2, but there is a Lowe's for exchanges in a city about 30 minutes away that I get to fairly often.

I figure if I naturally carbonate the kegs and just use the CO2 to dispense and purge/seal, then it should work ok. How's this setup sound? I figure I'd get two 20oz. tanks, and just switch them out when needed. I'd also pick up a 3gal model of the keglove to take to the future in-laws. Yay for portability!

Main Questions:
Should I get the paintball regulator from William's or the toolbelt style from Lowe's?
How many 3 gallon kegs will a 20oz. container dispense?
Once I pressurize the kegs, can I disconnect the CO2 and leave them pressurized for storage or when not in use(assuming no leaks)?

Those Kobalt regulators from Lowes seem way overprices for what you really get. Looks like just a big bulk of plastic you're paying for. Anyone used an actual paintball regulator from a gun? They regulate within 1-2 psi when firing a paintball gun, why couldn't it hold a steady pressure for a keg?

1. I'd go with the William's regulator
2. It takes 1.5-2 oz. to dispense a 3 gallon cornie, but I don't know if 20 oz. is nominal or actual.
3. Yes

Back