Howdy from Idaho

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuginator

Reaction score
Hi there!

A little history...

My interest in home brewing peaked in around 1994 or thereabouts; I've done a few batches since, but basically I've been dormant for about four years. One of the reasons I'd stopped brewing is because I was doing all-grain, and kept coming up against a flavor defect that I couldn't nail down. When you spend a day brewing, it's really disheartening to sample your efforts and be disappointed - continually.

Fortunately I kept all my equipment!

Lately I came across an old Brew Your Own magazine, and figured I'd flip through it for old time's sake. I saw an ad for BasicBrewing.com that I didn't remember seeing before, and decided to check them out. Wow! Very cool audio and video podcasts. When I saw them brewing microbatches of 1 gallon, I thought "I've got to give that a try!" It basically renewed my interest and have since brewed a 1 gallon batch of a very simple no-frills extract-based light pale ale. Ah, to smell boiling malt and hops again... there's just nothing like it.

I used all new equipment, threw out all my old hoses and got new, etc. Hoping that would be part of the problem. Unfortunately it wasn't. The exact same flavor defect that plagued me before showed up again. DOOH!

So, when I have time I'm going to post a message in another forum and hopefully I'll hear back from you guys/gals. I'm so eager to brew more, but if I can't get over this problem, it's pointless.

Glad to be aboard! :mug:

Mike

Latest posts

Back