How well to I have to rinse when using sodium metabisulfite and sodium hypochlorite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winegas

Reaction score
Hi, I am relatively new to winemaking and I think I might tend to be excessive when cleaning and sterilizing.

I realize that there is importance to get rid of the bleach mix, but how anal do I really need to be after sanitizing with sterilant (sodium metabisulfite)? How long should I let the sterilant solution be in contact with the carboy and other items? How well do they need to be rinsed after? I find myself spending nearly 20 minutes rinsing a carboy with a faucet rinsing device before I’m satisfied that it’s safe.

Metabisulphite isn't a sterilant. It's a sanitizer/antioxidant and a mild sanitizer at that. It works quickly-less than 1 minute will be sufficient. All wines, ciders, and most meads contain sulfites, which protects against oxidation. So, you can use that as a no-rinse sanitizer. Now, as far as the hypochlorite(bleach) in your title, that one you do need to rinse well. But what's in that tap water you're rinsing with? Is it treated municipal water? Then it's chlorinated. So, use your bleach if you want to. Then rinse with the metabisulphite solution, which also dechlorinates. Drain it and add your must.

Back