How Vigorous is your Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawsfree

Reaction score
I know it's a topic for debate and has been debated often on the forum but I wanted to attach some video to see it in action. If a picture is worth 1,000 words then a video is worth 1,000,000? The first video is on my old 15 gallon kettle using BG-10 burners. The second video is on a 26 gallon kettle using BG-14 burners. Post a video of your boil so we can define what is rolling or vigorous or just enough to drive off the DMS precursors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally have a more aggressive boil to throw off any DMS, but I do watch my boil off rate and will slow the boil towards the end if I'm loosing too much volume.

My usual boil is more like the second video.

Mine too. The first one looks like more of a simmer, but it's hard to really see a good boil going until after the hot break.

Once the hot break happens, you can see the wort turning over better. It should turn over, and not just simmer.

definitely more like the second. That damn pot is full how do keep it from boiling over? I have to have a little room in the kettle or I would be babysitting the boil the entire time.

Lol I'm doing exactly as you've done....moving to 26 from 15. 14.5 in a 15 gallon kettle really requires serious attention.

PS - they don't agree with me, but for gods sake get that damn hot break out of there!!!!!!!

My stove top boil is like the second with an 8 gal pot.

My propane burner was way more vigorous but I found not a lot of difference by using the stove, and I don't spend money on propane anymore

I like this thread because I always wondered. In the past (until next brew) my boil was like the first. I was going to try a faster boil but after this thread I am looking forward to my next brew and seeing what difference it will make.

Good thread. I've always wondered if I'm boiling to much or to vigorously and looking at the two examples I started off boiling like example #1 and always had to boil longer since I never hit my OG, now my boil looks more like #2 and then I'll cut it down the last 15 min or so if the volume is approaching where I need it so I don't boil off more or maybe I'll increase it a little just depend on where I'm at. But my boil always starts like #2.

My boil is usually more vigorous than your 2nd boil, I really want my alpha acids to isomerize well. I loose a lot of volume that way and have to account for it. The Blickmann burners can just really hammer a 10 or 15 gallon pot.

Mine is like the second at first then slow the boil down either to maintain target volume or when I add aroma additions.

My boil is usually more vigorous than your 2nd boil, I really want my alpha acids to isomerize well. I loose a lot of volume that way and have to account for it. The Blickmann burners can just really hammer a 10 or 15 gallon pot.

I'm not sure boiling harder really isomerizes the hops more...ya think? I don't see why there'd be a difference between a gentle boil and a vigorous boil. It's only a matter of a degree or two.

My boil off is only about 9%, which is pretty low. But I use a pretty tall and narrow kettle. The boil is fairly vigorous, but I'm not sure it really matters all that much as long as it's rolling.

Latest posts

Back