How to utilize this Jockey Box for Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoppaFarms

Reaction score
While buying some reclaimed wood from this guy for my keezer collar, he asked what the wood was for and I explained the collar. He said I may have something you would be interested in, and he pulled this thing out. Pardon the dirt in the first pic, I hadn't washed it.

I hooked up a garden hose and flushed the lines (which had some sort of clog in it that was brown and gross, they'll need some sanitizer for sure) and there are no leaks on any of the connections so it seems to be in good condition.

I purchased it thinking I could re-use the coil for a wort chiller, but then I realized the diameter is probably too small, and I'd have to rebend the steel which I understand is difficult to impossible without damaging it.

So I'm asking for your help! How can I use this as a chiller? I suppose I could attach a pump from the kettle and run the wort through just as you would if using it as a jockey box. The cooler may not hold up to the heat coming in and I would have to replace the ice a LOT because of the size of the cooler. Plus I don't have a pump haha :p

Other ideas? Last case scenario is sell/trade it for a chiller...

(I have no idea why that picture loaded upside down)

Jockey Box.jpg

Jockey Box 2.jpg

I'd consider pumping some PBW through the coil, then water, then baking for an hour just to make sure anything in there is dead dead dead. Then I would try pumping hot wort through it with a bunch of ice filling the chest.

Cleaning and sanitizing is a no brainer. I literally JUST picked this thing up and haven't had a chance to give it a thorough cleaning but will definitely do that before trying to use it. I could use it as a jockey box for sure, but I don't even have a kegging system yet, I was planning on getting a wort chiller first and hoping I could either use this or trade it for a chiller. As I said, I don't have a pump (or ball valve on my kettle) yet although those are upgrades that are coming some time in the future. A chiller is next on the upgrade list.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance folks!

get the pump next and pump the wort thats what i would do. Then then you have kegged beer home brewed or commercial you have a tap for parties.
good luck
have fun
drink a lot of beer

See it's not JUST a pump though. It's a pump, a bulkhead, a pickup, a ball valve, and tubing with disconnects.

I'd like to get a free one of these... would help supercharge my immersion chiller for that last 30* that seems to take FOREVER during a summer brew.

hook this up to your pump and recirc with an immersion chiller in the BK (assuming you are using one of those prior to this sweet gift), and leave the jockey box empty until you get down to 110-120*. Then fill it with the ice from fridge and fill halfway with cold tap!

*sigh* If I had all those goodies I wouldn't have had to make this post :(

I don't have an IC, pump, or any Gucci stuff. Trying to MAKE this into an IC or other Chiller of sorts.

I took it apart to check rubber seals and clean it out, gonna need to replace the rubber, seems like it's almost shot. The SS tube is 5/16" OD 1/4" ID. Quick calculation shows this is 50 ft of tubing. Is the diameter too small to be efficient enough as an IC?

Clean it up and sell it on ebay. Looks like you could get around $150-200 for it. I'd take that $$$ and buy a convoluted counterflow chiller from morebeer.com

I decided to take your advice Madgus, I've listed it on eBay and here in the HBT For Sale forums. If you want it, I'll close the eBay auction early. I'd rather it go to an HBT member. $125.

Back