How to transport a Barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnGans

Reaction score
I have a standard bourbon barrel that I plan on using to brew. It's pretty heavy empty, but manageable. I foresee it becoming nearly impossible to move once it's filled. I assume some sort of cart or dolly should be used? I realize moving it while full may not be great for the beer, but may be a necessity.
I guess my questions boil down to:
Moving the filled barrel, easiest is to use a cart?
If so, are there any blueprints or at least pictures I can work off of?
any other general tips and tricks?

Thank you,

John

Go to harbor freight and buy a large dolly. Then go to the hardware store and buy some 2x4s. All you need is some "V" features on two sides for the barrel to sit in. Should be fairly easy.

edit:
These are what a number of places use to stack barrels on each other. You just need to mimic those "V" features to keep the barrel steady.
2barrel-300x225.png

The barrel our club used was placed on a dolly to move it around, but there were also 2 sets of 2 wheels (in a V formation) cradling the barrel. That way it was easy to rotate for cleaning/rinsing/dumping/and prepping with Rum/Bourbon.

I'd build one of those. Or rent a hulk.

Back