How to sweeten on the backend of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Horlacher

Reaction score
I was about to bottle a Honey Wheat kit I got for Williams when I decided to try a sip. Man, is it dry...almost vinegar!!!

Is it even worth saving? What can I do to sweeten it and bottle without over priming?

I have potassium sorbate, but have never used it before.

Thanks in advance

Don't use potassium sorbate if you are bottling- the beer will not carbonate if you do!

The best thing I can think of is lactose. Lactose is an unfermentable milk sugar which is sweet like regular sugar. You can take out a sample of your beer and add some lactose to it to taste and see if it helps. If it does, then you can add some to your whole batch.

Jason Horlacher said:
I was about to bottle a Honey Wheat kit I got for Williams when I decided to try a sip. Man, is it dry...almost vinegar!!!

Is it even worth saving? What can I do to sweeten it and bottle without over priming?

I have potassium sorbate, but have never used it before.

Thanks in advance

How about honey? A small amount should have no effect on carbonation but can adjust the flavors some.

My honey amber and blonde always increases in sweetness as it ages. The last amber was a on the dry side at bottling and too sweet 2 months later.

Back