How to store...22 pounds of dry yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
Amazing.

While cleaning out the "vat room" at work to add 2 more storage units I found a 10kg box of Safale S-04. It had expired by 3 months, but has been in the fridge unit with the kegs and beer, and sealed the entire time.

I expect its still fine to use, so I asked the brew master if he wanted it, he said no (what the??) so I stuck it away in the corner but I'm perplexed at what to do with about 800 homebrews worth of yeast, that will probably be losing alot of viability the moment I bust it open to take out all of an oz of yeast.

I was thinking of just making several dozen bags, freezing em, and overpitching every batch for about 2 years.

Dry yeast Can be frozen correct? I have access to a vacuum packer at work, you can see where I am going with this.

Anyone see major problems with doing so? Or suggestions on where to go next? Not to mention, your with me that this yeast should be just fine to use?

Im a little dumbfounded by this situation, i think I need some input.

Oh, Thats not even an Issue, anyone that I know that brews is getting more s-04 than they have a chance to use. Im more wondering about the correct way to seperate and store it.

I can only assume that once I open the bag (its "1" 10kg vaccum stealed silver bag in a box) that i have a small window to use it, or preserve it. I just wonder if the correct thing to so is to Sanitize some bags (or not? that might be adding moisture??) and vacuum and freeze them.

I buy dry yeast by the brick ( 500 g ) and vacuum seal it and freeze it. I have used 2 year old frozen yeast and have made award winning beer with it. I haven't sanatized any foodsaver bags as I assume that the bags are good to go from the roll.

Oh, Thats not even an Issue, anyone that I know that brews is getting more s-04 than they have a chance to use. Im more wondering about the correct way to seperate and store it.

I can only assume that once I open the bag (its "1" 10kg vaccum stealed silver bag in a box) that i have a small window to use it, or preserve it. I just wonder if the correct thing to so is to Sanitize some bags (or not? that might be adding moisture??) and vacuum and freeze them.

Oh, I see, it's all in one bag. That is tough. I don't think vacuuming will work though because it'll get sucked out and into the seal. I think the less handling the better.

What about sanitizing some mason jars really well and drying them upside down and throw some in those and into the freezer. You could quickly pour a given weight out when you want to brew and close it up fast and throw it back in the freezer. Just some buzzed brainstorming here. :drunk: Nice score BTW.
:mug:

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like vacuum sealing did work for boo boo.

Thanks for the input boo boo, really needed someone to confirm that I was on the right track, and Ill forgo the spray bottle of starsan, Im guessing the bags are probably pretty good anyway.

Wish me luck with hours of sealing yeast bags up, and with swmbo that will definatly hate me filling an entire draw of the freezer up with beer yeast, the "hop shelf" in the fridge is already frowned upon

I've never done it with brewing yeast but my wife gets baking yeast by the pound (4oz=$4.14 2lb=$4.68) and we vacuum seal the extra and freeze. One problem I have with the bags is that they are moderately permeable. After a year old batch started making funny tasting bread I got irritated and went to pick up the jar sealer attachment from walmart and we're still using the yeast over 2.5 years later (new 2lbs mind you) with no problems. In fact I've been using it in the boil in small quantities as nutrient with good results. If you don't mind glass in your freezer I would highly recommend this route instead. S-04 isn't exactly dirt cheap compared to other DAY.

Oh, and if your worried you could always blast with c02 from your tank if you have one or alternatively nitrogen wine savers are cheap when you think of the SWMBO benefits... "Hi honey, look what I got you..."

I'd go the Mason Jar route as well, but FoodSaver bags should be Sterile out of the package. I know Zip-Lock bags are...

Ya, I forgot about the polycarb containers. They'd certainly be easier. I've had some trouble with the sealing rings on them cracking though and mason jar lids are dirt cheap to replace. ;)

It is were me, I'd divide it up inot 0.25-0.5lb bags (sterility be damned), and ask who on HBT wanted them. I'd hope for some beer karma coming back my way in the future...

Back