how to stop fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blabla

Reaction score
hei!how can I stop the fermentation after the pH turned to 2,5-3. I want to bottle the vinegar from kombucha but every time I tried to boil it and bottle it, the fermentation continued. I'm searching for another method not preservatives or microfiltration...thank you:)

I wonder if the bacteria for this can go into a protected state (spores?) ... basically they aren't killed by boiling.
There are 2 solutions if they need more heat. 1. pressure cooker where you can get it to about 250F instead of 212. 2. Tyndalyization which was used before the pressure cooker was invented. It basically is a boil 3 times separated by 24 hours each. The bacteria comes out of the protected form only to get cooked later.

Before this however, I'd be sure to remove the vinegar from as much sediment as possible. Maybe even filtering it first, and then boiling. If a boil kills off 99% of the bacteria, then it is important to make that 99% start as small as possible.

Why are you trying to stop the ferment? To keep some sweetness?

I agree with leaving behind as much sediment as possible. You might try cold crashing in the fridge, then racking to another container and seeing what settles overnight. Then rack off that to boil it.

Pressure cooker is the "right" answer, though. I don't know if that much heat, or even boiling, will hurt the flavor of your vinegar.

Refrigeration is how I slow down fermentation. I don't think you can stop it without killing the organisms. The commercially bottled kombucha keeps for a few months in a sealed, refrigerated bottle, but it becomes a foaming nightmare if you let it rise to room temp for more than a few hours. My own kombucha will eventually over-ferment, losing all sweetness and become a foaming mess if I leave it in the fridge for over a month or so.

Back