How to sterilize Hickory wood chips for Secondary????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salukibrew

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

Here at River-to-River Brewing Company we are developing our first attempt at an ambitious wood aged brew. It will be featured in our "Little Egypt" Series. The name of the beer is "Hickory Dickory Bock" and will consist of adding fresh SO ILL hickory chips to the secondary fermentor. My question to the more experienced brewers ou there is- How might I go about ensuring that the wood chips are sterilized as not to invite bacteria into the delicate brew? Any ideas?

Thanks,

River-2-River

Primary: Heepwah Hefe
Secondary: None
Bottled:
1- Carbondale Common
2- Ol' Swimmin' Hole
3- Aventinus Clone
4- Fat Yaki's IPA

On Deck
1- Shawnee Indian Pale Ale
2- Special Reserve India Brown Ale

Personally I'd microwave with steam... a small amount of water will get super hot and penitrate in without lingering... I've no idea how long or how much.

We used to use these specially venting bags with about 1/4c of water to sterilze bottles and such.... I think the same could be done for the wood...

even placed dry in a microwave could do the job. The microwaves them self will kill of just about anything. Just a question of for how long to bake the chips

I also microwave with some water. Boil for 1 minute, then let stand for 10 more before adding.

Interesting, I just oaked a bock myself for easter. I thought of using hickory (which I use for smoking meat), but chickened out.

so i have some french oak chips soaking in bourbon right now for a smoked pecan porter. Is this an acceptable way to sterilize or should i scrap that and steam or microwave them?

Back