How to start a oversulfited must

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
So the other day I put 1/4 tsp per gallon of potasium metabisulfite in my must and figured it was ruined. I looked some things up on the internet and found this website http://vinoenology.com/calculators/SO2-addition/ I found out you can use hydrogen peroxide to reduce up to 100ppm of sulfites. I did a yeast starter consisting of 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/4 cup honey, 10 chopped raisins, and a cup of water. let it sit for 12 hours before pitching and in the mean time wip the living crap out of the must after adding the peroxide. (yeast starter is from a member on here not my original recipe) I didn't think It was going to work but it really does. my yeast is fermenting like I didn't use sulfites at all, alittle over 3 days in I am at almost 1.030 going from 1.100.:rockin:

scroll down to where it says s02 reduction if you cant find the calculator.

Keep in mind you can only use this for 100 ppm reduction, anything more and you will be adding to much peroxide!. If you added more then 1/4 tsp per gallon then you could try reducing it anyways but you will more then likely need to wip it harder and I would also wait longer then 24 hours after you added it. good luck and cheers.

Good tip. I did something (over sulfited) similar to an apple wine. Even days of aerating the must couldn't get it started.... Had to dump it.

I'll have to remember this yeast starter!

Back