How to save yeast from a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gERgMan

Reaction score
As I mentioned in another section, I finished up a Dogfish IPA clone using White Labs California V Ale yeast. I would like to salvage some of the yeast for another IPA I will be making in a few months. My question is can I save some of the trub from the primary fermenter? I have never propagated my own yeast or even contemplated it. I would love to since it costs so damn much for fresh, liquid yeast. Does anybody have a simple, good method for saving yeast from a batch? I work in a biochemistry lab, so I have access to a lot of simple, sterile items (tubes, growth media, etc.) that might be harder for others to get. Any and all info on yeast saving would be great.

followed those directions to wash some 1084 last week. Worked pretty well. Instead of leaving it all in the mason jar I split it up in smaller bottles (Frappacino bottles). Each one has what seems to be a nice 3/16ths of an inch white section of clean yeast after washing it a few times. I will try to use this when I brew my Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Clone. I will try to use 1 bottle and make a decent sized starter for a few days. If it works like it should it really gives you quite a few uses off of one yeast pack.

Thanks everybody for your input on this. It seems fairly straight forward and worth a try. One other question, actually two... first, is glycerin the same as glycerol? I have plenty of glycerol at my lab, which has been autoclaved. I can double check this in our chemical catalog, but I thought somebody out there might have the answer now.
Second, JohnnyK68, if you could post the recipe for that stout clone of yours that would be great! I would love to try and make that.
One other thing just to make sure on this. I see all the talk about frost-free freezers and I was thinking of just leaving it stored in my -80C at work. Does anybody think this might be an issue (i.e. killing the yeast)? I don't think it would as we store other strains of yeast not used for brewing in there. Thanks again everybody.

gERgMan said:
I have plenty of glycerol at my lab, which has been autoclaved... leaving it stored in my -80C at work.

You sound like you have access to equipment and supplies most of us could only dream of!

Ok I get this process. You wash, transfer, wash again seperating the yeast from the trub/water until you have something pretty clean. Then you store it and repitch it when you need it what I don't understand is how much do you use? Or does it not matter as long as you have at least x million active cells you cannot over pitch?

Thanks

Ok I will make a starter but is the idea that you cannot have too much?

Fish said:
Ok I will make a starter but is the idea that you cannot have too much?
It's very difficult to overpitch homebrewing. You can dump another batch directly onto the yeast cake after racking the previous beer off which is more viable yeast than you will get after yeast washing.

Making a starter with washed yeast serves at least a couple of purposes:
1) Assures viability
and
B) "Wakes" the yeast up prior to pitching.

Back