How to save the rest of my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexBrewer

Reaction score
For Christmas I got a book of 1 gal. recipes, in the recipe it calls for a half packet of yeast. Is there a way for me to save the other half, I don't want to just dump it out? Oh and the yeast I'm using is Wyeast if that matters.

Yes, but there is an increased chance of contamination. You have to be ultra careful. Use a small sterilized jar. After you sanitize the pack of yeast and pitch, immediately pour the remainder in the sanitized jar and cover. Fill the remainder of the jar with sterilized (boiled and cooled) water and put in the refrigerator. It should be good for a few months like that. You may need a starter to get it going again.

I would acquire some dry yeast for doing this... A one gallon batch doesn't require much yeast. With dry yeast it's much easier and safer to save the leftovers, an I would think that a packet should get you 3-4 brews

Back