How to sanitize the ball valve on my fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
I recently purchased a SS Brew Bucket
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brewbucket

It's got a few fantastic features, like the conical bottom and the mini-3/8 ball valve.

How the heck to you use this valve?
If I pull a sample to test gravity, it will coat it with beer that will not be totally cleanable and then how do I get the beer out using it? If I don't use it for a sample I'm guessing I can shoot sanitizer up in it and handle it that way?

I've always used a auto siphon so this is a new challenge for me.

I'm sure there's a simple solution to this as all the conicals have valves and I'm assuming the same issues.

I use a spray bottle with star san to sanitize my boil kettle ball valve before draining the cooled wort to my fermenter. I would think that should work in your situation as well.

I think you are over thinking it. Sanitize the valve with spray bottle, pull your sample, spray out again with water. If you don't let the beer dry I would think just a quick rinse should be sufficient.

I soaked it in PBW then MicroChem (a disinfecting detergent) and rinsed it. Today I threw it in an autoclave just to be sure :) But my other fermentor's valve I just disassembled, cleaned, and soaked it in StarSan, then assembled wet. Worked just as well and I don't think that any brewery is autoclaving anything. :mug:

I think at the most: spray from both sides while valve is closed, then open and spray interior. Three good sprays at most. Then open and close a few times to work the sanitizer through.

The ball valves can get very, very dirty. Qtips, my friend. Qtip that mofo after sampling and before sampling. Then spray sanitizer up in it.

Ok, thanks guys. I most likely am over-thinking it. I've never used a ball valve in brewing and have always been able to sanitize the crap out of everything before using and having it already attached and holding the beer in makes me nervous.

I'll go with q-tips and a few sprays of sanitizer and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back