How to sanitize secondary additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackers252

Reaction score
I just brewed 10 gallons of the coconut cream stout recipe from BrewmeisterSmith.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/coconut-cream-stout-competition-runner-up-394244/

My question is, how do you sanitize the toasted coconut before you add it to the secondary? I plan to use muslin bags with a few marbles to contain the coconut and weigh it down.

Should I soak this stuff in starsan or anything before adding it?

The toasting process should sanitize the coconut. If it's pre-toasted you can steep it in enough vodka to cover for a couple of days. Add the vodka and coconut to the beer in secondary. Soak the muslin bag in StarSan for a minute or so.

Let me clarify: if the coconut is pre-toasted, put it in the muslin bag and then in a jar. Add enough vodka to cover and let it soak for a day or two. Add the bag of coconut and the vodka to the beer. If it's not pre-toasted, toast it in the oven at 350F, stirring occasionally until light brown. Soak the muslin bag in Star San, take it out and put the coconut in it, then put it in the beer.

Latest posts

Back