how to release pressure from my CO2 line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer0clock

Reaction score
ok another dumb question from yours truly.

I needed to remove my keg from the fridge and store it in the cellar for a while. Since its only about half carbonated, I decided to blast it with 30 PSI before taking it to the cellar. This might help the carbonation along, as well as ensuring the keg seals are tight (right??).

Anyway I gave it 30 PSI for 10 seconds, then pulled off the QD. Keg is now in the cellar, no problem.

But my regulator still says 30 PSI, and I believe there is still 30 PSI in the CO2 line, and pressing on the CO2 disconnect. I tried turning down the pressure on the regulator but it still reads 30 PSI. How do I 'purge' the pressure out of the line? I assume leaving the pressure on the QD is bad for it, but even if its not, I'd still like to get the pressure out of there. I thought about poking the needle of the QD with soemthing but is that dangerous?
Thanks!

Unscrew the regulator from the tank. Problem solved.

But really, it's not a problem to leave it as is. It is, after all, designed to hold CO2 under pressure. Just turn the pressure knob all the way down, and then the next time you hook it up to a keg the regulator will read correctly for what the pressure is set to.

Push finger against QD to release pressure. Turn knob on regulator until desired pressure is set.

If you don't need the system for a while just turn off the gas and then press QD to relieve pressure.

I say just turn off the gas and leave it. No real need to release the pressure. BUT IF YOU MUST....LOL AND the regulator doesn't have a pressure relief valve then yes just crack the regulator lock nut and your golden. Or just put the ball lock on another keg you have lying around that is empty..

Cheers
Jay

If it's a ball lock, you can just use your finger (or something narrow and blunt) to push the center post in the fitting. With 30 PSI it might take a little force, but you won't damage anything unless you have Samson-like powers or use something sharp. Same goes for the gas or liquid posts on the keg. I assume pin locks work the same way, but I don't have any.

I leave pressure on my ball lock fittings all the time, some at 30 that I use for force carbonating, and they take it just fine. They were designed for use with soda, which is more carbonated than beer and stays at a higher pressure all the time.

If it's a sankey coupler, you just move the lever down, and it'll release the pressure.

If you're storing it, make sure the tank is shut off, even with the regulator all the way at zero it may leak out over time. I remember my welding instructor said that backing off the pressure on the regulators was the best way to store them because it helped the diaphragm last longer, especially when you're opening the tanks, but the regulators there saw much harder use than any home application.

Latest posts

Back