How to Reduce “Lacing”

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangove

Reaction score
Hello

I have a thick film of foam that clings to the side of the glass from the head. It doesn’t look like “nice” lacing.

the beer glass is clean. The recipe had 2 row, Crystal 40 and flaked corn. Mashed at 149, so I don’t think it’s a protein problem. Also, the yeast was Imperial A01 that dropped completely bright.
It’s not soap or anything. I’m half way through the keg and the beer tastes great

Any suggestions to reduce this?

Attachments

• C7C641F9-C06B-47E7-A2FC-56885F07BF7E.jpeg
    C7C641F9-C06B-47E7-A2FC-56885F07BF7E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 192
  • 28AFB492-BD0B-4C16-A7B4-3BA43C68CBAD.jpeg
    28AFB492-BD0B-4C16-A7B4-3BA43C68CBAD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 178
  • AA317411-32AA-40D9-A8D4-4090FA67A81B.jpeg
    AA317411-32AA-40D9-A8D4-4090FA67A81B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
It’s not appealing. It almost looks like soap residue. Perhaps this picture shows the problem better:

Attachments

• 31396789-4D87-4241-97FE-EA66736CD322.jpeg
    31396789-4D87-4241-97FE-EA66736CD322.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
Ummm, I'm with everyone else on this. I strive for this type of lacing with my beers. When it doesn't have it, I get disappointed LOL. When I get it, just HAVE to take a pic. And this wasn't even as good as yours!

upload_2020-3-31_10-29-12.png

Lacing is more about treating your glassware right.

Instead of talking about your beer recipe, OP, let's talk about how you clean your glassware. Below is a quick read that may be helpful.

https://www.kegworks.com/blog/beer-clean-glass/

Let us know how you clean your glasses (hand wash? dishwasher?) and what soaps/detergents or "rinse aids" are involved (type, brand).

Lacing is more about treating your glassware right.[...]

Respectfully disagree, imo it's more about recipe and mash temperature profiles - and not mistreating the beer along the way.
I would put the whole glassware thing in the mythology bin by comparison...

Cheers!

Respectfully disagree, imo it's more about recipe and mash temperature profiles - and not mistreating the beer along the way.
I would put the whole glassware thing in the mythology bin by comparison...

Cheers!

Indeed. A dirty glass certainly can wreck foam, but a clean one can't conjure foam that wasn't potentially there in the first place!

Looking at the OP's pictures, it sure looks like his beer has foam, he's just not happy with how it's lacing on the glass.

Go ahead and brew another batch trying to fix the problem and don't spend a few minutes properly cleaning the glassware though. We can revisit this in a few weeks.

Before you pour another one take one drop of dish detergent and then one drop of StarSan and clean the glass that you will use. Scrub it good and then rinse it really well with hot water. The StarSan will get that glass extra clean and leave no residue. If it repeats then it is the beer and not the glass. It looks fine to me but I never stare too much at the glass while drinking. I'm usually too busy getting a refill....

Lacing is more about treating your glassware right.

Instead of talking about your beer recipe, OP, let's talk about how you clean your glassware. Below is a quick read that may be helpful.

https://www.kegworks.com/blog/beer-clean-glass/

Let us know how you clean your glasses (hand wash? dishwasher?) and what soaps/detergents or "rinse aids" are involved (type, brand).

The OP could do this. If he doesn't like the lacing wash the glass with detergent and DO NOT rinse it well... - Less head and less lacing.

I experience this in reverse. I wash my glasses in the dishwasher. The first pour has a bit of head, the second more head and by the time I stop refilling I have to pour very carefully so the head doesn't overflow the glass.

The OP could do this. If he doesn't like the lacing wash the glass with detergent and DO NOT rinse it well... - Less head and less lacing.

I experience this in reverse. I wash my glasses in the dishwasher. The first pour has a bit of head, the second more head and by the time I stop refilling I have to pour very carefully so the head doesn't overflow the glass.
Yeah, he said that the lacing looked "soapy" but I doubt that is what is happening. Soap generally breaks down the head and not the other way around....

Maybe this should be turned on its head. Suppose you don't have lacing...how do you get it?

My answer is a bit of wheat malt so the proteins are improved a bit. That's either chocolate wheat or white wheat, depending on the color I want.

I do agree, that lacing is a little different than that which I get, but not hugely so. Perhaps next time throw in a half pound of wheat malt, see if that makes the lacing more appealing?

And to solve you problem in the near term, take that terrible beer you're drinking, bottle it up, and send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it for you.

Here are a few pics of lacing on my beer. The first doesn't look all that different from yours (it's a California Common), and I'm not adding any wheat to that recipe (IIRC, it's just 2-row and a little crystal malt):

calicommon.jpg

This one has a little chocolate wheat in it, to go along with a little chocolate malt:

darthglass2.jpg

Back