How to recognize infection post kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacm2226

The Scottish Kilt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Synopsis:

Fermented a beer first time in stainless steel Chronical. After kegging, I noticed the krausen had a blackness to the top edge of the krausen line as well a pink hue to a portion of the krausen on the wall of the kettle. Infection?

The beer appeared normal and taste was typical young beer (APA E herms brewed all grain, 4 week fermentation, trub dumped after 2 weeks).

So question being, how do I know if it is infected post kegging?

Thank you to all who apply

Don't worry, it's not going to make you sick, even if it is "infected". Infected just means some bacteria or unwanted yeast ate some of the sugars too. Usually, that makes the beer taste bad. But, it can also make the beer taste great.

So, if you like it, drink it. If it sucks, dump it.

SWMBO won't let me call it an "infection" even if there is no infection present. The word conjures a visceral reaction in her even though in this case it is harmless.

I will go with the beer being fine then as the taste of the beer is good and no off flavors present. Thank you to all who replied.

Back