How to quickly and easily get your stir bar out of primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
So I just finished up with a fairly problem-ridden brew day, starting with a fairly sticky mash and finishing up by dropping my stir bar straight into my primary. Normally wouldn't be all that big of a deal, but I just got a second fermenter and have another batch ready to go for next weekend that I really wanted to get done on schedule. Fortunately I actually had a pretty good idea on how to get it out.

Enter a set of bar magnets I got from Home Depot. I think they were somewhere between $2 and $5. So first step, I tilt the primary slightly so the stir bar drops to one side. Then I put the magnet up against the side of the primary, and slowly drag it up the side until I get to the first ridge on the side of my bucket. Viola, stir bar is in sight and I can easily snatch it out.

Even better, I now know that I can keep the bar from ever falling in again by using the same magnets and holding them against the bottom of the flask when dumping my yeast. Just thought I'd share with you guys as I know stir bar dropping is a pretty common problem!

The other option is to buy an extra stir bar. I've dropped mine in the primary several times, but I just leave it there until kegging. Much easier than trying to work it out (especially as I ferment in a carboy).

-a.

Or use the method your using to get the stir bar out of the carboy... to get the stir bar out of the flask! Thats my method - saves a lot of hassle with pitchig.

Back