How to prevent bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murkle8832

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch of beer - a pumpkin spice porter (kit from brewer's best). I haven't been checking the SG because I don't have all of the proper equipment to do so, but I figured that as long as I wait at least two weeks to bottle then the batch should be more or less done fermenting. I bottled my first batch at 3 weeks and it came out great! The batch I bottled today was done at 2.5 weeks. Is that enough to be sure that fermentation was completed, so as to avoid bottle bombs?

It's not so much about the FG reading as it is about the fact that the FG doesn't change over a 3 day period. If it is changing, fermentation is still in progress and you shouldn't bottle. If it's stable and the FG is reasonably close to your predicted value you can bottle without too much worry.

I have the hydrometer but no tube. But how would I know what SG is sufficient?

Why can't you just sanitize the hydrometer, slowly float and spin it into your brew, read it, and take it back out? You don't NEED a tube to ensure your gravity readings are consistent across a few days...

Do you have the package the hydrometer came in? That's what I use and it works great. Otherwise if you ferment in a bucket, just sanitize and drop your hydrometer in and take a reading.

image-2107052429.jpg

I've brewed 100's of batches and have literally learned something from every batch. You can't learn without information. Not taking SG readings is flying blind. C'mon, it can't be that hard to figure out a way to get your hydrometer to float in a sample. Enough with the excuses!! The answer to the title of the post is taking gravity readings! When they are stable over a 3 or more day period, you are done. There's simply no other way to be certain...

The sample tubes are not expensive. I've also used the tube that the hydro came packed in.

If in doubt, let the beer sit in the primary 3-4 weeks. Patience.

Also, weigh your priming sugar on a scale for accuracy. Use a priming calc and shoot for 2.4-2.5 volumes of CO2. Input the highest temp the beer saw prior to bottling.

Waiting a week or so after all visible activity will work in most cases. Until you get a stalled fermenation, then if bottled the fermentation could restart causing bombs.

The other way you might create bombs is to use too much priming sugar.

Best bet is to find a way to use your hydrometer.

When using a kit I will often take just one FG reading after 3 weeks. If the reading is inside the range, or lower, predicted in the instructions I go ahead and bottle.

All good advice....

I've been brewing for quite awhile and have never had a bottle bomb (knock on wood). I really don't take gravity readings, I simply leave the beer in secondary anywhere from 3-6 weeks. I suppose I should take readings, just have never had an issue with it, and I suppose I don't like to waste 10 oz of beer per reading... and - I have to admit to being a bit lazy.

Having said that, I am interested in learning how to prime for different co2 levels in the bottle. I've had a few beers that were a little over carbinated, and would like to avoid that. That's my next learning adventure.

Thanks for all of the advice! I've already bottled, so it's probably too late to do anything now. I'll be sure to take SG readings for all of my future batches. I will say that one of the reasons why I'm afraid to let it sit in the primary for too long is that my basement is very damp and moldy, and after a while, the water in my airlock starts to grow mold (as has been the case for both batches I've brewed so far), so I get worried that it may also inoculate the beer with mold. I don't have any other place to store the brew, unfortunately. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the advice! I've already bottled, so it's probably too late to do anything now. I'll be sure to take SG readings for all of my future batches. I will say that one of the reasons why I'm afraid to let it sit in the primary for too long is that my basement is very damp and moldy, and after a while, the water in my airlock starts to grow mold (as has been the case for both batches I've brewed so far), so I get worried that it may also inoculate the beer with mold. I don't have any other place to store the brew, unfortunately. Any suggestions?

Don't use plain water in the airlock.

Use StarSan or cheap vodka.

Back