How to plant a rhizome with long shoots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarquis

Reaction score
I just got a rhizome in the mail and it has 3-4 shoots on it that are about 4" long. Should I plant it with the tops of the shoots just below the surface of the soil or with them sticking out?

oh whew! the ones i got form neko are like this... and I planted them peaking out of the ground :) was worried i had done it wrong.

I had one rhizome like this and i planted it with the shoot poking out about half an inch. and it did not do good. It died and then the plant just sent up two new ones. If i could do it again i would plant it just beneath the surface. I think the sun killed it, let it come out when its ready. I am no expert just my experience.

Plant the rhizomes 4 - 6" deep with the shoots pointed up. If the shoots do not stick out they will most likely work their way out soon. I do not pack the topsoil heavily on top of mine just to make it easier for them to work their way out.

Salute! :mug:

Back