How to piss off SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So...

I was walking through the house today and realized I am lucky to be alive...

The Living Room...
LR.jpg

The Dining Room...
DR.jpg

The Kitchen...
Ki.jpg

The Basement (where she wants it all to live)...
Ba.jpg

If I can survive long enough, I may just get to build a brew "shed" in the backyard! I'd say this is a pretty convincing argument.

I think my hobby would be over if I let it get to that point. So congrats for pulling it off.

Pretty wicked setup. What is that glass tube thing in the bottom right pic?

It's a "Drink Tower". It holds just over two pitchers worth of beer and has a tap at the bottom. We used to play trivia and would always order one because the servers couldn't always keep up... It has a floating, frozen di*/do in it to keep it cold.

SWMBO gave me one for my Bday a few years ago http://www.drinktower.com/

Hahaha, forget the SWMBO, I think I'D be embarrassed to have people over if it got that bad.

Luckily, we're shut-ins. JK.

It is actually kind of embarassing - you can probably tell I try to place things so if people are looking in through the windows, most of it should be out of site. I really would like to have a semi-sanitary place to keep it all - plus, it's a pain to organize/brew between two floors. Unfortunately, our basement is not ideal at this point.

The house was built in 1906, has mostly a dirt foundation, and 5 sumps pumps that work intermittently. Most of the wood and any cardboard that gets left down there is usully covered in mold within a few weeks. :(

I know you weren't asking for advice or assistance, but I'm a guy so I'm compelled to offer a way to solve your problem . . .

Are you saying you get sewage in your basement? If that's so, well, I don't know what to do other than to solve that problem first.

If that isn't the issue, then get shelving and two or three utility tables in your basement - nothing needs to be on the floor. Get a dehumidifier to dry out the space and get rid of the mold problem. Many of us brew in basements that are less than pristine :) I think it adds a rustic touch . . .

In any case, congratulations on avoiding SWMBO's retribution so far, but dude, its coming . . .

That crossed my mind, but the size of it is what made me say, "No way, cant be." But, that thing on the bottom could be a stem.....

Oh hell yeah. We had a six-footer in college, that tapered from about a 12" diameter at the bottom to maybe 3" at the top. Most guys built lofts in the dorm rooms, so the beds were up high- like two bunk beds but without the bottom beds. We had to sit up there to use the thing.

You are pushing it a bit. I try to keep my brewing as transparent as possible so that there is never justification for any objections. The ladies hate the mess and clutter and will try to eliminate the source. Don't be the source.

No way could I pull that off. Im filling up the basement pretty fast with my wine making and now the beer making! If it were to trickle up stairs she would shoot me! You better cut her some slack when she wants to do something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must be lucky , my wife is always trying to talk me into converting the spare room into a brewroom. Right now its lined on 1 side with fermenters the other is lined with grain tubs, bottles ,equipment thus it appears I'm losing the battle..... :eek: :D

Thats a lot of clutter. I am a neat freak and so is my wife, but to each their own!

This. We are not neat freaks, but I'm fortunate that the beermaking machinery is pretty much out of sight. The single exception is the first 2-3 weeks in the bottle, where a batch sits upstairs in a corner of the living room in totes so it can condition. Too cold in the basement, and the temps out in the garage are too variable (too damn cold right now!).

WOW. Impressive. SWMBO is a good woman. I used to get yelled at if I left a magazine out. Make sure you buy her some flowers sometime - just because.

LOL, mine is the same way. Although, her magazines can sit on the coffee table for weeks at a time. I don't know what the difference is between "her" magazines to mine, but mine are not to be seen in the "public" areas of the house.

Wow I thought woodworking in the living room was bad. SWMBO was really mad when she realized the vacuum was broken, but I fixed it yesterday. In a 5 bedroom+ house SWMBO claims she only gets one room, my projects take up the other ones.

Damn, I feel lucky about having a good lady. I converted our entire second kitchen into my brew room and I have carboys laying around in random places and my girl could care less. :D

Hey if the wife or gf partakes in the rewards of the hobby they can deal with the mess or clutter.

Yeah, I couldn't get away with that. I can't even do everything I want to with my "man room."

I am going to have to call you out on all that miller lite though. Shame.

Not a chance of getting away with that one!! I've taken over a corner of the bsaement, the furnace room, and she doesn't even try to comment on the garage. This spring I plan on cleaning the shed/garage/furnace room, and basement corner, organizing it all and making a dedicated space in either the garage or shed.

There was a guy's full set of equipment in a recent Zymurgy, it was laid out much like yours was. Although he did it when his wife was away.

Right now my stuff is in a 4 x 3 closet with a ceiling that drops down through half of it. I can't even imagine having a full room, let alone several.

i thought my house was bad. i have my own beer room with my kegerator and the rest of my stuff but i leave alot of stuff out in the kitchen and swmbo hates that. she always get on my ass to throw everything in the beer room it sounds nice but it is only a 8x10 room with a closet so it is packed with stuff and sometimes gets overloaded with random stuff it is also now a shoe closet for swmbo.

I'm in the process of organizing right now... had to...

I JUST BOUGHT A FREEZER AND WILL SOON BE ADDING A KEEZER!!!

Seriously... I'm organizing/consolidating and really am trying to make room for the keezer. Funny thing - even though SWMBO tolerates the mess (to a degree), she said I can't have a keezer upstairs unless it looks like furniture.

I can't complain. She's awesome. Here's a pic from our reception a few years ago. Not the best pic, but brings back great memories (I cut her parents out of the pic, but let's just say that SWMBO and I are the good looking ones in the pic) lol

M_and_Me.JPG

how do you eat a domesticated meal on that table? what is the polycarbonate tube 4 feet tall?

Is that one of those 100oz beer tap thingies? At the wing place (Quaker Steak n Lube) they have those and they call 'em Lube Tubes.. it gets kinda busy and the service sometimes sucks so they're kinda nice to get.. sadly they went to where you can only get Miller Lite, Coors Lite, or Killians in them.

Back