How to Observe My Local Tap Water's Ion Profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmurph

Reaction score
I've been getting some low-efficiency mashes--well, all of them have been low efficiency. I try to keep the pH around 5.2 or so using pH paper and citric acid, only my darker brews stain the pH paper to the point that the color is impossible to determine. I've seen some 5.2 pH stabilizers online, but also I've been reading that even an optimal pH doesn't automatically yield a high mash efficiency, and that I also have to look at the ion profile of my local tap water and add various brewers' salts to reach optimal ion levels. My question is which ions are the ones I need to observe, and are there simple ways to not only 1) test for the presence of these ions in my water, but also 2) measure their concentrations somehow?

The nature of your questions make it clear that you are just starting out with all grain brewing. Rather than try to answer them I would strongly suggest that you obtain and read one of the basic books on homebrewing. After having done that you will be better able to ask your questions and we will be better able to answer them.

The one exception I will make here is to suggest that you send a sample of your brewing water off to Ward Labs for analysis. This is the most practical way for home brewers to obtain water chemistry information and is a necessary step which every one must eventually take.

Latest posts

Back