How to make sure my brew is a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xzarfna

Reaction score
Hi there! I recently had a bottle of a really good Japanese Black Lager.
I'm wanting to try to make one, but I'm completely lost as to how i make sure my brew is a Lager and not an Ale.
Is it to do with the Malts used, the yeast, Fermentation Temp, or a Mix of those?
I know this is prob common knowledge, but i've only just started homebrewing in the past few months, and many of my brews have just been kits.

This is a good question. A lager is fermented colder (45F to 55F) and requires "lager" yeast that have been selected to attenuate well at these colder temps. Because of the cold temps you have to either make a really big starter from a liquid yeast or pitch enough packets of dry yeast to meet the pitching rate you've calculated for your beer. It will ferment longer (10 to 14 days) and eventually is racked to secondary and dropped to a temperature just above freezing for the "lagering" stage which will be anywhere from 6 weeks to several months. There are several fermentation schedules you could follow and this style generally requires more extensive planning and locations to meet the temperature requirements. Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks! So theoretically i could convert any ale recipe to a lager one by using lager yeast and lagering for a couple months?

If you want to make a lager you would use a lager strain of yeast for the reasons described above. It is important to understand the temperature requirements of properly making a lager. They require specific temperature controls so if you do not have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber that can take care of this, honestly, don't even bother trying to make one.

In brief, they are typically started in the 50's, as fermentation slows the temperature is raised for a few days into the 60's for a diacetyl rest, then when at FG they are transferred to secondary and lagered for a month or so in the low 40s

Thanks! So theoretically i could convert any ale recipe to a lager one by using lager yeast and lagering for a couple months?

Last winter I made a CDL(Cascadian Dark Lager). Basically a Black IPA with lager methods. Turned out really nice. Also did an Oktoberfestbier in November.
I do my lagers in the winter because I can use the colder environmental temps to my advantage. With this method, you do have to really keep a constant eye on the temperature, but I use a swamp cooler filled with water to help moderate temp swings. So far, in two winters, it has worked well for me.

Back