How To Make A Beer Crate For 12oz Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do your crates not hold a whole 24 bottles? following Uncle Davids measurements 4 1x3s in place of 5 1x2s was perfect

Photopilot. Check this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKFGIjPSvI

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome thanks.

Will build one of those soon.

Plans are only $2.99. But it looks pretty simple and he shows you the entire process closely. I think I could wing it. It actually looks easier to build than the beer crates. The cool steel one not so much, since I don't weld.

FYI Ian, your link led me to a few hours of getting sucked into a youtube vacuum ending up with watching Norm Abrams making a pallet wood coffee table at 0dark30.

Photopilot. Check this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKFGIjPSvI

Sweet tool, but I honestly chuckled when I saw the toy hammer he starts out trying to use.

I can get plenty of pallets at work, and I might actually build one of these things. However, my experience with pallets is that the boards can tend to warp after you pull them off the pallet. It would probably be fine for beer crates though, if they were used right away and screwed down solid, depending on the individual board. Some of them pallets use some pretty funky cuts.

I made one crate out of a pallet and it looked fine. Definitely plan of choosing what pieces are the best to use and what ones will be scrap. It looks much better after I took a palm sander to it.

Finally did the antique and emboss thing. After a lot of this,

I now have this. Excuse the hams I call calves.

What did you use for the antique coat? Vinegar steel wool?

Yep. 1 gallon of vinegar and 6 pads steel wool was enough to do 6 crates spraying it on. Might get more brushing. Mine sat about 36 hours before I sprayed it and it was on the crates for about 20-25 mins.

The links to the plans and the divider aren't working. Any chance the OP can refresh?:tank:

I finally took the plunge and made my first one. I was considering the purchase of a miter saw for this project and future ones, but decided to just do it with the handsaw so I didn't have to lay down that cash yet.

I think it came out ok, except I messed up the small pieces on the sides. I'll fix that on future ones.

Are there any concerns of skunking the beer with the open sides? Or as long as you use brown bottles are you fine inside?

Yep. 1 gallon of vinegar and 6 pads steel wool was enough to do 6 crates spraying it on. Might get more brushing. Mine sat about 36 hours before I sprayed it and it was on the crates for about 20-25 mins.

can you explain more on this? looks great

Well I managed to make 2 that hold 24 twelve once bottles and one that holds 16 twenty-two once bottles. don't have to worry about getting paper boxes wet YEAH!

I bought materials based of the OPs original plans last night on my way home from work. Then I got to thinking, wouldn't 2.5" nails be too long for 1xN's? 1xNs stacked on top of each other is less than 2" isn't it?

I'll figure it out :p

I made four of these using the 1X3's for bottom slats. Here are some pics showing how the image transfer came out:

Beer Crate 001.jpg

Beer Crate 002.jpg

Beer Crate 003.jpg

Pardon my ignorance. What is a WM Pint, WM Quart and 1L Teddy? I want to make some of these boxes for 12 oz bottles and I liter growlers.

I know this question is quite old, but I believe WM Pint and WM Quart refers to wide mouth pint and quart mason jars.

I think 1L Teddy's refer to Teddy's root beer bottles, that come in 1 liter bottles.

On a related note, I plan to make some of these crates soon. I have a number of 16 oz bottles gifted from a friend--anyone have dimensions for these guys? They're not Grolsch but old Narragansett bottles.

Here's my take on this. Design dimensions are as OP except I lowered the short 1x2s on the side so they would interlock, and I used lath for the sides to make it a little less bulky:

IMG_0328x.JPG

I really like it, but when I make more, I may expand the dimensions slightly to accommodate shorter, fatter bottles like those used by Sierra Nevada and Alaskan. I haven't made the dividers yet but I don't think they'll fit with the dividers.

Never bothered searching so thanks for bringing back the thread! My father in law is a carpenter so I may enlist him for a weekend job for a couple of crates to hold a few batches neatly in the basement!

I really like it, but when I make more, I may expand the dimensions slightly to accommodate shorter, fatter bottles like those used by Sierra Nevada and Alaskan. I haven't made the dividers yet but I don't think they'll fit with the dividers.

I made another crate to fit SN and Alaskan bottles, which are a little wider. I increased the length 1/2 inch and the width 1/4", and then made the dividers so the inside dimensions of each pocket is 2 9/16". I kept the height the same so I can still put longnecks in there. With SN bottles, the fit is just perfect - not too tight, but no rattle (not even really any wobble).

Going to try to mod this for 18 22oz bottles. Will post dimensions when I finish. I am thinking increase to 20" for side rails and 19" for bottom slats should do it.

If anyone is interested in saving some time, I saw wooden crates that look exactly like these at Walmart this week for $9. My guess is that the wood would cost at least that much anyway. I didn't check the dimensions, but it looked like the perfect size for a 12 pack. I know most of the fun is in the DIY part, but thought I would share just in case.

If anyone is interested in saving some time, I saw wooden crates that look exactly like these at Walmart this week for $9. My guess is that the wood would cost at least that much anyway. I didn't check the dimensions, but it looked like the perfect size for a 12 pack. I know most of the fun is in the DIY part, but thought I would share just in case.

Actually, I made this crate twice and made one for 22 oz bottles. The total cost of the wood was ~$15. I only bought more wood because I made tops for them.

Looks Good to me DocDriza!

I appreciate the compliment, but I can do better. In fact, I have! I built two more and the third time is the charm. The third create has been put together better. But I still need to stain it.

Built a couple of these today. One holds a case and the other a twelve pack. Really easy to make. Now to stain them. Maybe come up with a logo to put on them also. Thank you for the great plans.

1413057256532.jpg

1413057268138.jpg

I made this last night in about 25 minutes from some old wood I had laying around from a pallet I broke down for another project. I will probably make a few more. Put together using Gorilla wood glue and brad nails. I will probably rip the short side vertical pieces in half for the next one, but just for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks for the ideas to everyone.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Links on original post seem to be down again. All I get are the numbers 404 on both computer and phone

Awhile back, I came up with an adapted design for wine bottles. It took me quite awhile to get around to the actual project, but figured I'd post my modified dimensions from the original design and the results of the finished project. Overall, it's basically the same as the beer cases, just shorter, wider and features separators to keep the wine bottles from touching each other.

The design goal was for it to work with pretty much any kind of bottle and it does. I took things down from my original measurements to get the sizing more correct, but this will fit the bordeaux style as well as burgundy styles, and probably others as well. I also wanted to be able to remove the bottles without unstacking them, more like a traditional wine rack. Ideally, I'll put the stacks on casters so they can be easily moved from place to place eventually.

Cost wise, these eat it up due to the increased lumber. You'll go through about 2.5-3 furring strips per case, so overall cost is probably north of $5 each. Still, when you look for commercial solutions that will hold 100+ bottles you're easily north of $100-$200 for a decent solution. There might be other ways to accomplish the same goals for similar or even lesser costs, too, but this just seemed easier to put together in the end.

This was the original design:

WineCrate.jpg

And the finished product:

WineCrate_Finished.jpg

Dimensions:

(2) 1x2 @ 24" - Long Side Front
(2) 1x3 @ 24" - Long Side Back (Keeps bottles from slipping out)
(5) 1x2 @ 22.5" - Bottom Rails
(4) 1x2 @ 11.75" - Short Side Horizontal
(4) 1x2 @ 6.75" - Short Side Vertical
(5) 1x1 @ 12.5" - Bottom separators (keeps wine bottles touching/clinking during movement)

As for some tips, placing the separators in a precise position is a pain each time. Just figure out the correct measurements, cut a piece of wood to that measurement and use it as a spacer between the rails. (I used 2-7/8" from each side and 2-1/2" between each subsequent rail...it's off by about 1/16" of an inch, but I didn't really care to get into 32nds of an inch to fix it.) To make the separators, I used a 1x4 furring strip, ripped down to (3) 1" pieces, a fairly economical way to get it done. I personally prefer dropping the long side rails for stacking myself as I think it finishes a little bit better, but there's also other ways to accomplish stacking discussed in this thread.

Hope this helps someone out there!

This is the plan I used. I increased the vertical board 1/2 inch and shifted them down 1/2 inch. This makes them stackable.

Awhile back, I came up with an adapted design for wine bottles. ... Hope this helps someone out there!

Once in a while I see an idea and go "well, duh - I should have thought of that". Thanks for sharing. I will be borrowing your idea! :)

Question: With the separators, do you actually need the slats on the bottom?

Once in a while I see an idea and go "well, duh - I should have thought of that". Thanks for sharing. I will be borrowing your idea! :)

Question: With the separators, do you actually need the slats on the bottom?

Structurally, it made sense to over engineer the bottom. Even with the separators, the bottle's weight is still carried by the bottom slats, perhaps a little better distributed. I seriously thought about reducing the bottom slats to four, and that probably would be just fine since it's only 6 bottles per case, but I figured 24" of lumber is worth it for a bit of redundancy and peace of mind.

Hope that helps!

Back