How to keep from overattenuating my barleywine?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beowulf

Reaction score
I know, this is not the typical problem...overattenutation. It might not necessarily be a problem in this case either, but I thought I would get some opinions on it.

I brewed a barleywine this past Saturday and pitched it on a Notty yeastcake. For the key numbers, the wort had an OG of 1.091 and was mashed at 154F for 90 minutes. It contained about 82% base malts with the remainder a collection of crystals, wheat and rye (no simple sugars). I pitched at about 69F and have cooled it slowly over the 4 days to about 62F.

The Notty yeastcake had been through 8 previous generations (reduced at each generation to keep from ending up with a 4 gallon cake) and was averaging about 85-90% attenuation.

As I was reading up on barleywines, I was getting the impression that the mash efficiency would be lower (which it was) and the attenuation would be lower. As I mentioned earlier, I started with 1.091 and measured SG tonight at 1.020, which is ~75% attenuation in about 4 days. I'd prefer that it not go much lower if it can be helped. From previous experience, I would expect my trusty Notty cake to still keep working for another week or so and I'm afraid it might dry out the beer too much.

Any thoughts or ideas? Let it play out and hope it doesn't dry out too much? Even if it does dry out more than expected, who cares, RDWHAHB? Rack to secondary now and hope it attenuates less than it would on that big cake? Something else? I want a rich flavor and mouthfeel for the barleywine and just would prefer that it didn't dry out too much.

The only way to stop the yeast afaik is to pasteurize the beer and kill them off.

That being said, eight beers is a lot for one yeast cake. Isnt another packet of that stuff like $3-$5?

Not sure I want to go as far as pasteurization....that might imply more effort than I'm prepared to exert :) As for the yeast cake, I know for a fact some microbreweries reuse yeast up to a dozen times or more. Maybe not the same way homebrewers do it, but still... why would I buy more packets if I have a good, strong colony just waiting to work their little butts off? Seems like perhaps a waste of $3-5 (x8). Besides, I'm not convinced that the amount of yeast is the problem....if it ferments fully, it ferments fully, right? The prevailing opinion would dictate that yeast from previous big batches may not work as well or attenuate as much as fresher yeast, and even if it does it may exhibit "off" flavors. I haven't found that to be the case based on my own empirical data. If this were the case, it would seem to imply that the beer would underattenuate if anything...

I would think it has more to do with the type and condition of the yeast than the amount (when we're talking cake volumes) along with the quantity and type of fermentables. Sorry to blather on...thanks for your opinion :)

Let it run. I can guarantee a beer that finishes fermentation at 1.015 is going to taste better than one for which you halt fermentation at 1.020 or something like that. Let the yeast do its thing, and next time pitch a proper amount of yeast and alter other specifications (mash temp, grist composition, etc.) so the beer comes out more to your liking.

Yeah, I should have known better than to mash at 154. I have been mashing at 158 on my earlier beers with this cake. I was a bit paranoid with some of the posts on barleywines that I thought I had better take the mash temp down a little bit so that I didn't end up with a 1.1030 beer.

Again, I think even with the "correct" amount of yeast, it still would attenuate the same amount. There are only so many fermentables, and as far as I can tell, the amount of yeast you pitch doesn't change that.

I think I'll just let it play out....that's what I was inclined to do in the first place, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else had been in this situation...

Thanks...

Let it go. Most commercial barleywines are attenuated very well, sometimes even lower than BJCP guidelines would have you think. One of the most enlightening experiments you can do is take FG samples of craft beers you really like, work out the OG based on ABV, and compare that to BJCP guidelines. It can be funny to find out some of the examples they list in the style section don't comply with the suggested OG/FG ranges.

I was going back through my threads, and saw this one...seemed like it needed some closure. The barleywine actually ended up at 1.006, for 11.1%. The interesting thing is that it doesn't taste "thin" at all (thanks I'm sure to the carapils, wheat and rye), so I'm glad about that. It was very tasty even at 3 weeks with good head retention as well. Yes, I know it is sacrilege to drink your barleywine that young, but I was very curious! Now to let is sit for awhile longer to enjoy over the winter...

92% attenuation from Nottingham? That's epic! Was it doing 85%+ from the first use? I'm planning a big stout soon 12% give or take and want some good attenuation. I've got some Nottingham, do I need to get it through a few generations first? Last time I used it on a pumpkin ale and only got 75% when S04 would probably have got me 80% with the grain bill.

The first couple generations were in the 70-75% range with smaller porter/stout. After that with my IPAs and ambers (about 5 or so, including an IIPA), it stayed in the mid-to-high 80s until the barleywine. I'm not sure if it's a generational factor, or just the styles I brewed at the beginning. Notty definitely has some epic potential.

Remember that it is apparent attenuation. I think that the higher alcohol levels may throw these numbers off. I just had a BW finish a lot lower than I thought it would (1.014 from 1.110) for a 12.5% ABV and it did not taste thin either.

Regardless, if it tastes good, then :mug:.

What yeast did you use brewenstein?

I'm at the initial stages of a big stout, looking for 12-14% and aged on some oak chips I've got soaking in caol ila at the moment. Got some reading to do! Maybe some brown sugar or dextrose additions after first couple of days fermenting.

Chill,

US-05. I brewed an Arrogant Bastard clone two weeks prior, so I racked it off the yeast and used 250 - 275 ml of the slurry. The AB clone was pitched with 1-1/2 packets. I was a bit hesitant to re-use it since the AB clone was 7% ABV, but the fermentation appeared to be very healthy, so I went for it. Obviously, all went well.

Huh... I was planning on doing a 6% version of arrogant bastard (for the 3rd time, man I love chinook). Was going to use the yeast from it to ferment my big stout. I've got s04 or Nottingham... then again, I work in a brewery so might borrow some yeast, they seem to have a few white labs vials in a fridge and they use Cali ale yeast in most the beers.

I just did a kate the great type grain bill, recipe found on this forum.

It went from 1.097-1.014 in about a week! I pitched two pints of slurry from a fresh kegged batch of s-04, and it was down to 1.018 in two days!

The taste is far from thin, as the alcohol adds quite a bit of body, if not from the malts. I will say that it will be a while before I get it finished and carbonated so I don't know the final product but I don't think you should worry about over attenuation. I'd just let the yeast do their thing, and shoot for more predictability in the future.

Latest posts

Back