How to install ball valve in a 30 liter keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hello, i just bought a G type 30 liters Keg (Bass Brewery) and i want to convert it into a boil kettle. I want to install a ball valve that will help me when i "no-chill", the problem is that this type of keg isn't straight at the bottom part so i could install the valve, it have a "circular dimple", don't know how it's called in english :-D i will post some pics when i get to my laptop.
If you understood what i am talking about, how do you recommed me to install the ball valve (solderless)? A solution would be to install it at the middle of the keg with a dip tube inside, i am not sure how it will work.

I haven't taken a picture of the actual keg, but it almost the same as the second keg in this picture, the "dimple" is that ring that is made probably for greater pressure resitence and/or for rolling the barrel for transporting.

kegcapacity.jpg

I know that i need a flat surface to mount the ball valve to. I made some pictures, what do you think? Will i be able to install it under the rib, or is it too little space for this. If i install it above the rib i can make a dip tube inside, but for smaller batches i will have to suck on the hose to start the siphon. And also it is ugly with the valve in the middle of the keg.

2015-03-18 16.18.25.jpg

2015-03-18 16.18.57.jpg

2015-03-18 16.19.06.jpg

2015-03-18 16.18.41.jpg

2015-03-18 16.18.51.jpg

Looks as if it might work, below that lowest rib there, and your dip tube running to the lowest point of the concave "dome".
The only problem I see might be the handle on the valve, of which you could lop one "ear" off of the handle, so the swing of the handle won't hit the rib.

No worries about that, i forgot to tell that this will not be my ball valve, i have a one handle stainless steel one for that. This in the pics i want to connect it to the cold water line for chilling. The size is the same though, that's why i used it.
Now i have to cut the keg open to see if the rib is in the inside too or just in the outer part if the wall (my 50 liters keggle that i use for outdoor brewing have those ribs only on the outside, the inside is straight).

I would like to see that!

No rib inside?...........So, the outer one is a welded or riveted on rib?

The keg you showed above, I would almost guarantee, that the rib is inside as well.

Yes, this little keg have the ribs on thw inside too. My 50 liters keg that i use for brewing outdoor don't have them. It have the outer part with the ribs welded on the inner part. It is pretty heavy because of that. I will check my laptop for pictures, or take some tomorrow to show it to you.

Here are the pics i promised. In the last one you can see the small one boiling wort on the gas stove in my kitchen, it works great, i did not installed the valve yet.

2015-03-27 10.20.33.jpg

2015-03-27 10.20.48.jpg

2015-03-27 10.20.58.jpg

2015-03-24 18.29.48.jpg

LOL, that carboard was there for keeping the mash temperature, as i do BIAB. After the mash i let it there thinking that will help getting to a rolling boil quicker. It wasn't the case as my gas stove has enough IBUs to boi those 27-28 liters of water with no problem.
Gas cooktop was meant to be gas stove top, i am not a native english speaker :p

Hi bionut,
I would like to know how did you solve this problem. I have a 30l keg that I'd like to use as a Boil kettle. It has the same design as yours.
Did you set a deep tube? Does it work?

I didn't installed the valve for now, i plan to try install it below that ridge afterall, because it would be to high above it.
I will post pictures after i try.
I gave you a complex answer in PM.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking. The problem isn't the valve pointing downwards but if i will have room for the lock nut on the inside. I think it will work though.
Until now i used this stove top keggle as it is by syphoning and installed a ball valve on my bigger keggle that i use when brewing outside (and i plan to switch it to electric).

I managed to install a 1/2 ball valve on my little keg. Just below the ridge.

I can take some pictures if someone is interested.

Latest posts

Back