How to hardwire Ranco controller into freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vash68

Reaction score
I have Kenmore 13.7 cu ft upright freezer which I am converting to fermentation chamber and a keezer. For that I would like to finally hardwire my dual stage Ranco 211000 controller into freezer's circuit.
My question s mostly arise from the fact that I have no knowledge of how the defrost cycle works on these units i.e. does defrost heater turn on at the same time as compressor is running or the compressor is shut down when the heater is on. Below is a description of defrost cycle from the back of the freezer.
2014-08-01191340_zps3d7f5dd6.jpg

Here are two wiring diagrams I came up with so far, please let me know which way is better or preferred.

Approach 1: Ranco is wired inline with OEM thermostat and therefore everything should work as designed: OEM sensor will always think it is too warm and power up Ranco's COLD stage relay, then Ranco takes over and controls the compressor and fan. *I think* the defrost cycle should not be disturbed this way.

2014-08-02rancoinlinewiththermo_zpsf9cf4ea4.jpg

Ranco wiring approach for #1 ( inline with OEM thermostat): notice that COLD stage relay is wired only as a switch (as opposed to a power outlet as people normally do when they plugin freezer's power cord into Ranco controller) - are there any concerns with this wiring approach?

2014-08-02Rancoinlinewiththermo2_zps7ae19aac.jpg

Approach 2: Ranco overrides OEM thermostat - here is where I am afraid the possibility exists for both, compressor and defrost heater to run at the same time, please confirm.

2014-08-01Rancooverridesthermo_zps5504a974.jpg

Ranco wiring approach for #2 ( override OEM thermostat):

2014-08-01RANCOOVERRIDESTHERMO2_zps8bdcfad3.jpg

As far as Stage2 /Load 2 I had simply ran the output of that relay inside the freezer and will be plugging in a fermwrap into it whenever I am fermenting. Stage 2 relay output and entire Ranco controller will be powered by splicing it into freezer's "always on" Line and Neutral wires. The freezer will be plugged into the wall receptacle. I hope I am being clear...

I would use "Approach 2" - and simply disconnect the defroster.

Let us know how this hybrid "fermentation chamber/dispensing appliance" thing works out...

Cheers!

I would use "Approach 2" - and simply disconnect the defroster.

Let us know how this hybrid "fermentation chamber/dispensing appliance" thing works out...

Cheers!

I hear people are trying to save defrost feature... Any drawback to disconnecting the heater?

I sure will let you know, although I brew lagers mostly, I expect it to be not the most convenient device ;)

I've been running keezers for 6 years now and none of them had a defrost function. I really don't see the need...

Cheers!

Back