How to Get the Most Banana Out of Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
SWMBO and I have a regular beer stop that has a hefe seasonally that she loves. Hefe is a regular on tap at home, by the super clean and high banana flavors haven't really been there like the brew pub.

My standard recipe is 60/40 wheat and pilsner (AG). ABV about 5%
1oz. Hallertau for 60
WLP300

Ferment at around 72 (high to try to get more banana out of it)

I have thrown in a pound if honey malt which I love, but doesn't do anything for the clarity or banana flavor.

Any ideas? Is Wyeast Bavarian or Weihenstephan much better than the White Labs for this? I also see that "over-pitching can cause almost total loss of banana character". I have never heard over-pitching to be a problem. Should I use less of a starter than my normal? Is this a case where maybe using a smack pack without a starter would be good?

if you want more banana in your heff adjusting your grain bill is a waste of time. look into different strains of heff yest some produce more banana flavors than others. also ferment at a higher temp like you have been doing.

That's what I was thinking. Anyone have experience with the Wyeast strains vs. the WLP300?

Sorry for the late response - don't use a starter if you want more banana. Those esters are created early during the reproduction phase so you want the yeast "starting" in the fermenter, not in a starter. Drop the starter and hit hi 60's and you'll be fine. 70's will get you even more banana but I hear you may also run into bubblegum too - not sure if you want/like that.

WLP300=Wyeast 3068=Weihenstephaner

Back