Quantcast

How to get rid of moles

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brewbama

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had moles so he used grub poison. All the grubs crawled to the surface and died. The birds swarmed in and ate the grubs. Dead birds all over the neighborhood. ...but the moles left.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had moles so he used grub poison. All the grubs crawled to the surface and died. The birds swarmed in and ate the grubs. Dead birds all over the neighborhood. ...but the moles left.

Don't use a poison like grub-x. Put down milky spore or beneficial nematodes.

NSMikeD

Reaction score
Years ago my next door neighbor was about 80+ years old - one of the first Eastern Airline pilots - guy weighed about 100lbs and he had a tiny dog that would nearly knock him over pulling on the leash.

Herb (his wife was Ginger and we nicknamed them the spices).

In any case, he had the giant sword he had picked up in Japan during his youth and would walk around his yard stabbing the mole holes. I swear that sword was heavier than him, but he wielded it against the moles like a samurai decapitating an imperial army officer.

The guy flew his private plane out of a grass strip aerodrome to the very end. Said it was the only way to land (hot air on the grass makes the plane float).

Cheers Herb!

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't use a poison like grub-x. Put down milky spore or beneficial nematodes.
+1 to the milky spore. It's natural, not a poison, and kills the grubs that the moles want to eat. We had a huge mole problem, put down milky spore, problem solved.

OP
Homercidal

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, man, I wish I didn't live in town! I bet the neighbors would be kind of upset if I used one of these babies! (and my dog, too...)
I don't think they intend for it to be used on the dog. Nozzle end is too large.

But it does give me an idea about the neighbors dog. Wonder if they have adapters.

Sparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Get some chickens. Between my two cats and chickens, our vole/mole problem went away. We were infested last year when we bought the house. The back yard was nothing but a series of tunnels. Between the chickens eating the grubs and worms and the cats catching the critters, all of our tunnels are gone.

The second benefit of having chickens is really good fresh eggs! Also, my chickens love my spent grains.

OP
Homercidal

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I can't discern where the tunnels really are right now. The moles seem to have disappeared for now. I'll have to bash their mounds down and keep an eye out for more later. Maybe this rain will get them kicked up again. They were really bad right after the ground warmed up. Or maybe one of the cats ate him.

Reaction score
Unlikely there's 6.022 x 10^23 of them. Until then, you don't even have 1 mole. Sorry, had to break out the avocado number, which is also useful in making some gwhack-a-molee.
How many acres do you have? We can figure out Molality and Molarity from that as well. That's a good indicator of how bad the infestation is.