How to get rid of moles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For years I've enjoyed watching the molehills pop up across the road. Now, for a few years, they have enjoyed tunneling under MY yard!

I need to find an effective way to kill them without poison. I have cats and can't be sure the moles won't get caught and eaten by the cats.

I have one of those spring-loaded traps, but it has yet to kill a mole.

There are "thumpers" which you put into the ground that are supposed to annoy the moles. Don't know how well they work, but it's worth a shot.

From http://www.almanac.com/pest/moles --
Sprinkling dried blood, tobacco or a similar repellent on the ground is effective. Remember to re-apply after a rain.
Owning a cat that enjoys walking through your flower beds is a very effective deterrent to rodents.
Moles are carnivores that make themselves at home in lawns rich in grubs and insects. When their food is seasoned with castor oil, they will go elsewhere for meals. (Wouldn’t you?) Mix up a spray of 3 parts castor oil to 1 part dish detergent; use 4 tablespoons of this concoction in a gallon of water, and soak the tunnels and the entrances.
Dip an ear of corn in roofing tar and place it in one of their tunnels. Moles hate the smell of tar, and you’ll block their escape.
Try sprinkling powdered red pepper in their tunnel entrances.
Sprinkle coffee grounds on the soil to keep moles from tunneling.
You may have luck using wind power—setting up vibrations in the ground that will bother moles and send them away. Low-tech methods include kids’ pinwheels placed here and there on the lawn, or a homemade thumper: Cut fins in the sides of a bleach bottle and place it on a stick driven into the ground near a mole entrance.
If you have a persistent mole problem, the best solution is trapping. Frankly, this is often the only way to get rid of moles. Use a humane trap, and release the moles at least 5 miles from your home in a rural area away from someone else’s garden.

It appears you already have your answer. Cats are amazing at removing pests.

:mug:

The cats are great hunters. We receive presents all the time of various forms, like half a small rabbit, bird feathers, and mouse stomachs. Generally what's left behind that they didn't eat.

But the moles are still around, and we've had hunting cats for years.

haha, I got that in about 5 seconds. And I shudder to think, but it would probably involve dynamite and/or high voltage.

I don't get it. But I wish I could use dynomite.

The tunnels are popping up quite a lot right now. Maybe I'll bust out the trap again and see if I can nail one on a main run.

Or maybe I'll shove a hose in a tunnel and turn on the faucet.

Ok, I think I got the joke just now. Good one.

I have one of these and works like a charm. No poisons, no chemicals, no traps, no batteries.

az-large-1914902.jpg

Every year it's something new in my yard. I had a mole problem once. It wasn't that bad but I used Grub-X. I got rid of their food source and they disappeared. Then again I have coyotes, foxes and now a bobcat problem.

Couldn't resist. I'm actually interested in hearing everyone's methods as I have a mole problem, too.

I've got one that screws with the lawn on the north side of my house. That side is very shaded and the grass is crap. If he ever makes it to the front lawn, I'll be bringing in the heavy equipment.

Well, I think I'll try the spike trap again. I know where a main run is, just gotta get it set and keep checking it. Move it after a few days.

If that doesn't work, I'll consider spending money on a sonic solution.

I just wish the cats would do what we pay them to do!

When I was a kid my friends and I got paid $5 for each ground rodent we would kill on the neighboring farm. We would sit silently by an active hill with a barbecue fork at the ready. Once it popped its head out...well, cha-ching!

Get another cat.

my cat took care of ours a few years ago. haven't seen evidence of a mole for a few years now..

Get another cat.

my cat took care of ours a few years ago. haven't seen evidence of a mole for a few years now..

I have a strong feeling our cats would not allow another one into the family. They are sisters and sometimes fight each other!

They do a good job of keeping mice population down.

What I need is a cat like THIS ONE.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5KzwEW2EzA[/ame]

Back