How to get FG lower to get a higher alc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howhigh

Reaction score
I made a Thomas Coopers Stout with 1.1kg of dark malt and 400g of maltodexrin and used the yeast that come with it. I got a SG of 1046 and FG of 1024 any tips to get the FG lower to get a higher alc. content.

Try rousting the yeast. Sanitize a spoon or other stirring device and very gently mix up the bottom of the fermenter into the rest of the beer. Avoid splashing.

Question: Did you pitch dry yeast or liquid? If you used liquid, a starter would have probably helped you achieve your desired FG. Also, how well did you aerate? If you did the shaking or pouring method, you might have had a low oxygen level, which could explain the high FG.

What temp are you fermenting at? If you are <60 F then there is your answer right there. Warm it up to ~62-64 and it should carry you through to a lower FG.

How many gallons? With 3.3 lbs of total malt sugars, you would get an OG of about a 1.024 in 5 gallons.

Did it ferment at all?

Unless you had other sugars, you would need to be making a 2.5 gallon batch to get 1.046 starting gravity.

Also, Malto-dextrin is unfermentable. 1 lb in 5 gallons will increase the FG by .007, or in 2.5 gallons, will increase the FG by .014. If you made a 2.5 gallon batch with those ingredients, I would say you are done, and the high FG is due to the large amount of Malto-dextrin.

I agree with calder.

With that recipe you are most likely done. Give some more time to make the gravity is stable, but I think it is not going to go any lower.

Calder is exactly right with the malto dextrin, there is not much more you will get out of this one

Next time, use pac man. Since I've switched my house strain to pac man, I've come below my projected FG on every brew!

I used SD Super on my apricot wheat and got down to 1.006. That is as low as I've been and the beer was super.

Back