how to get denser foam in the cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello and greetings from Norway. I have previously visited the UK and drank lovely cider from taps there. what I noticed was the foam in the cider was very delicate. looked a bit like whipped cream. How can I make this foam myself? has brewed cider from scratch with own apples from the garden, but also from concentrated juice. I get the same result. can someone answer me or know the secret?

Foam is protein. Apples don't have a lot of protein, so foamy ciders should not exist.

Add a little milk or cream and I'll bet you get a lot more foam, like a root beer float. I am just kidding, please don't do that. It could also come from dirty glassware.

Just be happy with your ciders the way they are, without foam.

maltodextrin works for rootbeer maybe it would work for cider. i think it should. if not adding spraymalt (DME) would likely increase head thickness but then you have graft i think its called. others on here know more and will hopefully chime in.

and welcome

Foam is protein. Apples don't have a lot of protein, so foamy ciders should not exist.

Add a little milk or cream and I'll bet you get a lot more foam, like a root beer float. I am just kidding, please don't do that. It could also come from dirty glassware.

Just be happy with your ciders the way they are, without foam.
Thank u! Now you gave me some ideas! And it was not the cream or milk tip! 👍

Did you get the cider from the traditional English casks? A cask ale or cider will always feel a lot creamier than a draught or bottle version of the same. Casks pull in air as well, making the drink seem fuller and creamier. You can sort of mimic this by using a nitro tap on your cider. Alternatively you could try to beat air into your pour with something like a French press, but I'm not sure you'll like the results.

For what it's worth, I usually carbonate my ciders very highly. This will also give you a firmer layer of foam that lasts a bit longer, but it will not make your cider creamy in any way.

Did you get the cider from the traditional English casks? A cask ale or cider will always feel a lot creamier than a draught or bottle version of the same. Casks pull in air as well, making the drink seem fuller and creamier. You can sort of mimic this by using a nitro tap on your cider. Alternatively you could try to beat air into your pour with something like a French press, but I'm not sure you'll like the results.

For what it's worth, I usually carbonate my ciders very highly. This will also give you a firmer layer of foam that lasts a bit longer, but it will not make your cider creamy in any way.

Attachments

• IMG_20231118_165154_339.jpg
    IMG_20231118_165154_339.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
I offcourse made my cider with own Apples, if i dont have Apples i buy juice from meny store her i Norway. The foam is not just made by carbonation with high pressure. But i also do that. But the foam will be gone in 1 minute.

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_142436_415.jpg
    IMG_20231215_142436_415.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231215_142543_308.jpg
    IMG_20231215_142543_308.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Hello and greetings from Norway. I have previously visited the UK and drank lovely cider from taps there. what I noticed was the foam in the cider was very delicate. looked a bit like whipped cream. How can I make this foam myself? has brewed cider from scratch with own apples from the garden, but also from concentrated juice. I get the same result. can someone answer me or know the secret?
Hello Joachim and greeting from France.
I'm astonished. I've never had cider with a head on it (I presume you're talking about what, in the US, you call "hard cider"). I've lived in England most of my life and cider is my favourite drink and I've drunk untold gallons of the stuff. When I go to England I bring back cider. When somebody visits, they bring me cider. I also make my own cider from my own apples. Some cider is fizzy and some (West Country) is totally flat. If I were served a pint with a head on it, I'd treat it with the utmost suspicion. Can you remember what brand of cider you drank in the UK?

@An Ankoù

Happy New year. Some good cider in France as well.
Drunk and made plenty of cider having lived in the west country.
A cider with a creamy head would be as odd as a champagne with a creamy head.
I think the only chance is cheating with heading liquid or put a measure of advocaat in the bottom of the glass.

@An Ankoù

Happy New year. Some good cider in France as well.
Drunk and made plenty of cider having lived in the west country.
A cider with a creamy head would be as odd as a champagne with a creamy head.
I think the only chance is cheating with heading liquid or put a measure of advocaat in the bottom of the glass.
Happy new year, Duncan. Haven't seen you around for a whie. You keeping well?

Back