How to get a creamy white head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndOfBeans

Reaction score
All grain brewer here, recently did a caramel chocolate bourbon stout and a falconers flight black ipa back to back. Both brews came out great as for how i wanted them to taste.

My question is how do i go from my normal muddy looking head to a nice white brighter colored head. My retention and creamyness is good enough for my liking. Interested in how to get a lighter color??

Of the 3 basic types of roasted grains -- chocolate malt, black patent malt and roasted barley. -- roasted barley produces the lightest colored head.

Both of the previous posters have hit it on the nose. You may get a tan head with a dark beer like this, especially if it includes black patent. It depends on the grains you use.

Like psylocide said, neither of those brews should have a white head. Is there any particular reason why you're aiming for a white head on a chocolate stout?

I made a stout one time that ended up having a white head. Just didn't look right. Flaked barley will help with head retention.

All the Best,
D. White

Of the 3 basic types of roasted grains -- chocolate malt, black patent malt and roasted barley. -- roasted barley produces the lightest colored head.

This, chocolate malts, patent, carafa, dark crystal will all stain the head

Also beer colour has no direct correlation to head colour. I brew a chocolate stout that has 10% chocolate malt and 4% barely tea and the beer is brown and the head is chocolate/tan coloured.

Back