How to gas a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboy_t

Reaction score
Hi all. Through a good friend who owns a pub, I have just managed to get hold of a 50L Sankey keg but I'm struggling at the moment to find anywhere that I can get a CO2 bottle for it though.

I have got (well, it's in the post!) a tap for the top of it, so attaching a bottle shouldn't be an issue, but are there any adaptors I could get to put those small CO2 shot cartridges into the keg instead of buying/renting a full size one?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

You need a tank and regulator to attach to the sanke coupler. Yes, you can use the small capsules of CO2 but you will need many of them...also they are really for serving not carbonating.

I've got the coupler on it's way, but it's the tank I'm struggling with. There is a gas supplier but they want it registered to a business which I can't really do. Was just wondering if there would be an alternative to getting the big tanks.

I've got the coupler on it's way, but it's the tank I'm struggling with. There is a gas supplier but they want it registered to a business which I can't really do. Was just wondering if there would be an alternative to getting the big tanks.

get a 5 or 10 lb tank. Shouldnt cost you more than $60-$80

get a 5 or 10 lb tank. Shouldnt cost you more than $60-$80

That's the problem for me, over here (UK), they don't actually sell them, they rent them for a yearly fee (about £60 a year I think), but to get one, you need to register a business name as they will only rent them to businesses.

Back