How to for a small brisket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
so I buy a 1/4 cow every year or so and this last time I got a brisket but I’m not sure I’m guessing it’s the tip of what part of the brisket it is. The processor packages all our roasts in 3 lb packages just the way they do it so I’m guessing it’s in the 3-4 lb range and again looks like the tip portion. How would I go about smoking this as all the research and vids I’ve watched are for a full 12 lb full brisket. I just don’t wanna over cook it and I’ve never made a brisket before. I have a master built double door smoker where the pan and wood box is one door and the other is for the shelves to place them meat on I’m sure u know what I’m talking about and it’s propane fueled. I’m inquiring about time smoked and what temp and then when to pull and put it in the oven to finish and does it need the 1 hr cooler rest I’ve seen so popular. Thanks for any help.

If you haven't cooked it yet, the key to great brisket is low and slow. Low as in temperature and slow as in time.
You really need to monitor the internal temperature of the brisket so a remote reading thermometer with a probe is a must.
Season the brisket with salt, pepper and your favorite rub. Take it out of the refrigerator an hour before you are ready to smoke it. Preheat the smoker to 260 degrees. Place the brisket in the smoker with the temperature probe inserted in the center of the thickest part of the brisket.
The goal is to get the internal part of the brisket up to 190 degrees. This is important and you will see that it takes a long time to get it that temperature.
There are too many variables to cooking a brisket to give you a fixed time before it is done. Its the internal temperature that matters, not the time. It is really difficult to overcook a brisket, but easy to under cook one.
A cooler rest is a good idea, and will help result in a juicer tender brisket.
I usually cook a whole packer-cut brisket and it is an all day affair. Set aside a whole day when cooking whole brisket, pork butts and other big pieces of meat. A brisket point is a smaller so adjust accordingly.

Back