How to find a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nreed

Reaction score
Hi. I’m a brew newbie wondering if there is some sort of app or website where I can put in my ingredients I have and see recipes that fit?!

I’m bottling my 3rd this weekend and want to start another ASAP.

For grains I have some Pale malt, MO, Honey and Caramalt.

Hops I have Amarillo, Mosaic, Chinook and Citra.

There isn’t one that I’m aware of, for the simple fact that there are so many varied outcomes possible from a single ingredient.

That said, the free (and I’d imagine pay for) brewersfriend.com recipe builder will tell you what styles your beer fits into after you’ve created it. Be advised, it only measures quantitative style statistics like color, abv, srm, ibu.

I have two approaches to recipe formulation. 1) If I really enjoy a style that I’d like to replicate I research it then brew it. Or 2) If I have a mental model for a beer I’d like that doesn’t fit a know style, I research ingredients to get me there.

Do you have a framework or rough outline for something you’d like to brew?

S.M.a.S.H - Can't go wrong with Marris Otter and some Mosaic.

Honey Ale - Pale, Honey, Amarillo, and Chinook should give you an easy drinking beer (go easy on the honey though)

Hoppy - Pale, Caramalt, all three hops will give you a good IPA/APA depending on time and ratio

John Beer - 7 - 8 lb Pale and Citra for a good lawnmower beer

I know that's not what you were asking, but those are what I would do with your variety of stuff and things.

Have you looked through some of the recipes in this forum? I would always advise a new brewer to brew a style they are extremely familiar with, using a tried a true recipe. That way you know what the outcome should be, so it will help you identify issues and help you learn

Last edited:
Have you looked through some of the recipes in this forum? I would always advise a new brewer to brew a style they are extremely familiar with, using a tried a true recipe. That way you know what the outcome should be, so it will help you identify issues and help you learn

Just so happens this guy (@Dgallo) has one that is pretty damn popular..and an outstanding learning brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/base-pale-ale-recipe-for-single-hop-beers.673718/

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all the responses - I definitely like the idea of doing a smash so I can get to know the hops!

I guess I’ll start with the MO and Mosaic and use Dgallos hop timings. 😍

Read books. Read blogs. Read forums. And brew, brew, brew. The more experience you get the easier it will be to look at your inventory and say, "I can make this with what I've got".

S.M.a.S.H - Can't go wrong with Marris Otter and some Mosaic.

Honey Ale - Pale, Honey, Amarillo, and Chinook should give you an easy drinking beer (go easy on the honey though)

Hoppy - Pale, Caramalt, all three hops will give you a good IPA/APA depending on time and ratio

John Beer - 7 - 8 lb Pale and Citra for a good lawnmower beer

I know that's not what you were asking, but those are what I would do with your variety of stuff and things.

Hey @FloppyKnockers , great recommendation on the Maris Mosaic SMaSH, ended up drinking the warm, flat dregs left over after bottling yesterday and tasted SO good! Decided to try your 2nd recommendation as you're 1/1! Any recommendations on the malt balance/hop schedule? I've read Chinook could overpower Amarillo? My current plan is for:

7.5 litre batch size
Target ABV 5.7%

Malt: Pale 2-row 95%, Honey malt 5%

Hop schedule:
5g Chinook @ 15
7.5g Chinook @ 0
15g Amarillo @ 0
7.5g Chinook 30 minute whirlpool @ 76C
15g Amarillo 30 minute whirlpool @ 76C

I put the 0 min editions in Beersmith as Steep @ 96C for 20 mins to get the IBU's up and its coming out as 42.5

Hey @FloppyKnockers , great recommendation on the Maris Mosaic SMaSH, ended up drinking the warm, flat dregs left over after bottling yesterday and tasted SO good! Decided to try your 2nd recommendation as you're 1/1! Any recommendations on the malt balance/hop schedule? I've read Chinook could overpower Amarillo? My current plan is for:

7.5 litre batch size
Target ABV 5.7%

Malt: Pale 2-row 95%, Honey malt 5%

Hop schedule:
5g Chinook @ 15
7.5g Chinook @ 0
15g Amarillo @ 0
7.5g Chinook 30 minute whirlpool @ 76C
15g Amarillo 30 minute whirlpool @ 76C

I put the 0 min editions in Beersmith as Steep @ 96C for 20 mins to get the IBU's up and its coming out as 42.5
I'm happy you're happy with the SMaSH. That, and similar recipes are on regular rotation in my bar. Your current plan is interesting. I would have not thought of that kind of schedule, but I'm very intrigued. I'm a huge fan of short boils and hate dry-hopping. Chinook is supposed to have an evergreen/spicy flavor where Amarillo counters that with lots of citrus. Not being boiled for too long is going to limit how bitter it turns out and that will only favor the honey bit. I would run with it and see what you get. Please report back. I may have to steal... err... borrow this recipe ;)

I'm happy you're happy with the SMaSH. That, and similar recipes are on regular rotation in my bar. Your current plan is interesting. I would have not thought of that kind of schedule, but I'm very intrigued. I'm a huge fan of short boils and hate dry-hopping. Chinook is supposed to have an evergreen/spicy flavor where Amarillo counters that with lots of citrus. Not being boiled for too long is going to limit how bitter it turns out and that will only favor the honey bit. I would run with it and see what you get. Please report back. I may have to steal... err... borrow this recipe ;)

Brew day was today so should just be about ready for New Years! I actually missed the 76° mark and ended up doing the whirlpool at 65°. Sure it’ll be fine..that’s what you get when your trying to brew and keep a 3 year old entertained! I’ll keep you posted.

So @FloppyKnockers you're 2 for 2 - this one turned out great. I gave a few out to friends and family and everyone loves it and has asked to keep them coming! I only brewed a small batch so I'm a little sad I gave so many away - will definitely be brewing this one again.

:thumbsup:

Back