How to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfarmDan

Reaction score
I am dry hopping for the 1st time. No luck with searches here but did see videos showing pouring direct into the secondary and one showing a sanitized hop bag. I will be adding 4 oz Centennial pellets to 11 gallons in a SS Conical. I can pour direct thru the 1.5 Triclamp for the vent or lift the lid and throw in the sinitized hop bag with a wire to keep it suspended. I think I preffer dumping straight in but will all the hops fall into the cone leaving clear beer above the cone? The only concern with the hop bag is sanitation of the bag and opening the fermenter to get it in.

If you can cold-crash your fermenter, just dump the pellets in for four-five days, crash the mush to the bottom for a day or more (I usually hit 34°F for 3-4 days) then rack with a sanitized piece of nylon mesh (hop bag material) rubber-banded over the end of your tubing.

For extra credit stick a large SS washer in the mesh to keep it "open" and from sucking into the tubing (occasionally happens)...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back