How to count alcohol %?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewers

Reaction score
OG : 1.068
FG : 1.015

Today I drank it:tank: and now kind of :drunk: taste is good but i shouldn't be easily :drunk:. How much % is this? Thanks

Doreen:mug:

jaytizzle: Thanks.. Drunk badly last night after 2 bottle of 660ml
lurker18: 7.1% ABV?? No wonder... Thanks
Jayhem: Yeah... around there... Thanks
masonsjax: :confused:
Just-a-Guy: What's that mean?

Thanks

Doreen :mug:

masonsjax said:
Most reliable way is to start with 15, drink a beer, subtract one, repeat. Whatever the number is when you wake up is the approximate ABV.

I will remember this nugget of wisdom for life.

Hahaha - nice!

masonsjax said:
Most reliable way is to start with 15, drink a beer, subtract one, repeat. Whatever the number is when you wake up is the approximate ABV.

The Real real answer is send it to a lab, but nobody ever does that. The real answer is plug Og and FG ito na table similar to the one published in How to Brew. I did a table reverse engineering the Og and FG numbers to calculate the multi[lier and got OG-FG *133% fairly consistently.

abv= OG - FG x 131.25

that equation will get you a good estimate of ABV, to now exactly, you need a lab. there's also a million and two online calculators that will tell you your ABV based on original and final gravities.

What bothers me the most is not that there's some 8 different calculators out there. But that they each give a different answer. Cooper's being the highest. Judging from my body's reactions to the ales involved,I'd say it's pretty close! :tank:

Gotta love the simple, eloquent, and easy to implement formulas.

Cheers to you sir! :mug:

Back