How to cook a moose roast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtires

Reaction score
I got some moose roasts from a buddy at work and my wife doesn't know if she likes wild game, I was thinking the slow cooker. Any good recipes to cook moose? Should it be cooked different then beef? And what beer would go good. A Black IPA? Mmm

Well of course you want to serve Moose Drool... :) .. I've never had moose. But I'd think a slow cooker would be ideal. I'm sure much like deer or elk the meat is lean. Add some beef stock. Might help cut the game taste.. Good luck and cheers!

Most of the time it's just like lean beef, sometimes tough and gamey depending what the moose ate. I had a wicked moose steak with wild blueberry sauce once at a restaurant, sure there's a recipe online somewhere.

Medium rare or in a slow cooker until it falls apart with a spoon.

Cook it rare or medium rare at most. Also, there is little fat so layer the top with bacon. If it were mine I would:

Sear the outside of the roast.
Layer the top with bacon strips.
Place roast in a heavy pot with a heavy lid--I use a dutch oven.
Pour beer around the roast about 1/2 way up.
Cover it.
Cook.
I can't give you a cooking temperature because I do it with charcoal in a cast iron dutch.
However, if you are going to use a slow cooker use the lower setting and don't let it go more than medium rare.

I cut it in to steaks . Cook med or med rare with onions and butter. Little salt and pepper. If it's tough use a needler or cut it thin. You can roast it but I personally find it more palatable with a quick sear if it is gamey.

Cook it rare or medium rare at most. Also, there is little fat so layer the top with bacon. If it were mine I would:

Sear the outside of the roast.
Layer the top with bacon strips.
Place roast in a heavy pot with a heavy lid--I use a dutch oven.
Pour beer around the roast about 1/2 way up.
Cover it.
Cook.
I can't give you a cooking temperature because I do it with charcoal in a cast iron dutch.
However, if you are going to use a slow cooker use the lower setting and don't let it go more than medium rare.

I do this in the oven at 350*F, instead of using a roasting rack, I use large pices of fresh cut veggies, big enough to hold up to the long ride in the oven, like big carrots and onion halves, leaks, stuff like that. Don't forget to add the beer or water.

add grade A beef suet in small slits in the meat to get some fat moisture in it. Slow cook it like any roast. Wild game is best when served medium rare and dries out easily.

Braising. roasting, or in a crock pot. Even with lots of liquid around the roast it will still dry out cooked beyond medium rare. Like other posters have said add some fat to the meat. Adding the fat in shallow slits will make sure it doesn't just slough off.

A roast can also be stuffed and then tied with butchers string to retain the shape. Look at pork loin recipes, not pork tenderloin, for this technique. Pork loin is another cut of meat which can turned into shoe leather.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The wife did it in the slow cooker with 2 cups of apple juice and a package of dry onion mix.

It was very tender and tasted delicious

Back