How to compute alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I've been reading on this and I can't find a difinitive formula to compute alcoholic content. Its not a big deal. I'm not trying to brew a high alcohol content beer, I was just curious.

I've got a hydrometer and plan to use it this weekend on my first brew but I don't really know how to use it to determine alcohol content.

Thanks,
Ian

rsitzejr said:
I'm pretty lousy at math, so can someone explain this one better?

Just get a copy of ProMash. You can get an eval copy for free. It has a % acohol computer built into it. You just plug in your OG and FG and it does the rest.

rsitzejr said:
I'm pretty lousy at math, so can someone explain this one better?

Are you looking for a why? The formula looks complicated but it is really just plugging your og and fg numbers in and then calculators away!

The way I've been doing ABV is OG-FG*105

Example: My Scottish Ale--1.085-1.015=.07
.07*105=7.35ABV

I can't remember exactly where I got this but it has seemed pretty accurate.

AlaskaAl(e) said:
The way I've been doing ABV is OG-FG*105

Example: My Scottish Ale--1.085-1.015=.07
.07*105=7.35ABV

I can't remember exactly where I got this but it has seemed pretty accurate.
Now that sounds like what's in "The Joy's of Homebrewing" book.

brewhead said:
Abw = 76.08(og-fg)/(1.775-og)

Abv = Abw (fg/.794).

Ok, please excuse my ignorance but what does Abv stand for?
Also Abw, what does that stand for.

I'm assuming it means Alcohol By Volume or Alcohol By Weight. But, I'm guessing.

Thanks Ken,

I'm brewing on Saturday and I can't wait. It can't come soon enough, for me or my wife. She's getting tired of me talking about it!

I'm going with a Belgian White kit that I ordered from a homebrew supply store about 2 hrs from where I live. It'll be here probably today!

I chose the Belgian White as it seems that you can ferment at higher temps without worrying. I live in South Carolina, and to cool our house to a normal fermenting temp would get rather expensive.

OK I tried using both of the formulas that you guys have given.

using these made up numbers:
OG=1.04
FG=1.01

Brewhead's formula produces ABV of 3.95%
And AlaskaAl(e)'s produces ABV of 3.15%

Although, there could be an error on my part for computation. But, that seems to be a fairly big discrepancy.

What do you guys think. By the way, this is purely academic as I don't really care if my beer is super alcoholic. :) I mean, I want it to be somewhat alcoholic . . . ;)

ian said:
OK I tried using both of the formulas that you guys have given.

using these made up numbers:
OG=1.04
FG=1.01

Brewhead's formula produces ABV of 3.95%
And AlaskaAl(e)'s produces ABV of 3.15%

Although, there could be an error on my part for computation. But, that seems to be a fairly big discrepancy.

What do you guys think. By the way, this is purely academic as I don't really care if my beer is super alcoholic. :) I mean, I want it to be somewhat alcoholic . . . ;)

Assuming you actually meant a OG of 1.040 and a FG of 1.010, ProMash figures this at 3.94% ABV. I'd go with Brewhead.

Latest posts

Back